PDA

View Full Version : Want to stop your panic attacks? - try this...

scooby
15-11-05, 16:50
Suffer from Panic Attacks? Fed up? Want to do something about it?

Follow this advice and it should help:-

A- Alcohol – reduce your alcohol intake, try stopping drinking alcohol in the week completely and only drink moderate amounts at weekends. Excess alcohol consumption may cause depression and vitamin deficiencies, which can worsen your panic symptoms.

B- Behavioural - Panic attacks are due to an inappropriate normal physiological response to stress known as the fight or flight response, if you are being chased by a large dog then this response will enable you to either fight it or run away and it is therefore necessary for your survival. In panic attacks, you suffer an inappropriate fight or flight response, i.e. it occurs at the wrong time for the wrong reasons, therefore you need to ‘unlearn’ this inappropriate behaviour pattern – this is fundamental to the success of you self-treating your panic attacks. One way of doing this is as follows:- Make sure you are in a quiet room, relaxed, by yourself and with no disturbances. Then close you eyes and think of a ‘positive’ memory, this can be something from your past that makes you feel happy, something that brings a smile to your face e.g. a time when you were on holiday, a great day out, the time when one of your children was born, the feeling you get after doing a bungee jump, it must be something positive that brings back good memories. Build up a picture of this image in your head and keep concentrating on it until you feel happy, keep concentrating on this image for a minute or so. Repeat this procedure several times on several occasions. Now, the next time you are in a situation where you feel a panic attack coming on (your heart will be racing, you may feel lightheaded etc.), you need to immediately think to yourself, ‘I’m Going To Stop This’ and quickly focus your mind and switch to thinking of the ‘positive’ memory. Keep concentrating on this ‘positive memory’ until your feelings of panic settle, Do Not concentrate on your panic symptoms, instead keep your mind focussed on the ‘positive’ memory. This is a difficult thing to do, but you need to do this every time you get your panic symptoms. The more you do it, the easier it will become until it becomes second nature. You will then be ‘unlearning’ your inappropriately activated fight/flight response and replacing it with a healthier more normal response. Eventually over time and with practice, when faced with a panic attack provoking situation, your body will no longer automatically have a fear response and you will instead have a calmer more relaxed response.

B- Bananas - These contain a source of serotonin, which may act as a sort of natural antidepressant, which can help with panic attacks as well as other conditions such as depression and generalised anxiety disorder. As well as making you feel good, bananas also release energy slowly over several hours, which will make it easier for you to reduce your caffeine intake, and they will also make it easier for you to stop smoking. Try eating 3 bananas per day – 1 for breakfast, 1 mid-morning and 1 mid afternoon – if you can’t eat the fruit, then try banana milkshakes. The positive effects of bananas should become evident within as little as a week.

C- Caffeine – Reduce your caffeine intake, try drinking tea/coffee/coke only when you get in from work, or each time you have normally have a full cup, try just having a half cup. Decaf is ok, but still contains small amounts of caffeine – so check the label. If you suffer side effects when you don’t have caffeine then it is because you are addicted to it – you didn’t have caffeine withdrawal headaches when you were a child before you started drinking caffeine did you? Caffeine gives an energy boost, but this is followed by a drop in energy levels which will make you want to drink more. A gradual reduction in your caffeine intake will mean there are less caffeine molecules circulating around your body – excess numbers of these molecules can contribute to and worsen your panic attacks.

C- Cigarettes -

Piglet
15-11-05, 17:46
Scooby that's a terrific post mate.

I do eat bannanas regularly and will perhaps eat even more.

Meg is there any reason not to do this - wasn't sure if bananas were high in potassium (have I got that right) so is this ok???

Lots of really good info there Looby - thank you!!

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

tygwyn
15-11-05, 19:23
Brilliant post Scooby - thanks very much for taking the time to post it!

Yes I can see that this would also be helpful for those of us who suffer GAD too. I'll be printing it out!

Thanks again

Rach xxxx

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

moogle101
15-11-05, 19:41
That information was really helpful thankyou, i have been given many different exercises to deal with stress but yours seems to make much more sense and alot simpler to do. Ill have to try my dads banana sandwicheshes been trying to convert me for years.:D

Keitharcher
15-11-05, 21:11
what a great mine of information thanks for the work you put in compiling it I will certainly follow at least some of your advice

keitharcher

Meg
15-11-05, 21:57
Yes Piglet , bananas do contain potassium but as long as you are physically healthy you will just excrete any excess so its not an issue.

I agree with all scoobys points.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

seh1980
15-11-05, 22:22
Good post!! Now we just all have to do it lol [:P]

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

pips
16-11-05, 12:02
Wow Excellent post and so very true! Thank you so much. You know what they say Practice makes Perfect!

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X