PDA

View Full Version : whats the Difference

moogle101
15-11-05, 20:25
I was diagnosed with severe depression by my college councillor, but the problem was she was more used to dealing with genral teenage problems and i was her first case of major depression. Because of this i diditn get as much help as i needed. And having absoloutley no one else to talk about it to i didtn know where else to go. i went throuigh a really good two months and she said i was cured. as you can imagine i was thrilled, but when i left colledge a few days later i again began to feel the well trodden path of hopelessnes and depression. Ive delt with it for 6 months and my symptoms have got worse and more irratic, and i began to read more into the subject. and finally we get the the point if you havent fallen asleep yet, is what is the difference between depression and manic depression? ( It kinda sounds like the end line of of joke i appologise):D

Alice
15-11-05, 20:56
Hi Moogle

im sorry youre feeling so down, and sorry that your counsellor wasnt more help, have you been back to your doctors?

Depression is the feeling of sadness and sorrow, and all the usual. Manic depression has periods of these feelings mixed with 'manic' episodes. where the person feels bright and over excited, over confident, comes up with daft plans to make money, goes shopping excessively, speaks too rapidly for people to understand and takes risks, either in business, relationships etc.

the manic phase is quite severe and manic depressives need different medication to control it, but it can be treated successfully. I think if you suffered from manic depression someone would have noticed the strange behaviour. Ive had a manic episode in the past, but mine was due to medication, and my friends had to drag me along to the doctors because of the way i was acting!

You should see your doctor again, im sure there is something else that you can try other than your college counsellor, different meds, CBT, etc.?

I hope you feel better soon hun
xx

moogle101
15-11-05, 21:05
Thank you for replying, i dont have behaviour like that, i did just wonder becaus I react to the smallest of things somethimes, ill really fly off the Handle. and then i get worked up and for days ill cry and am not right for days. Maybe its just normal behaviour for depression. I havent gone to a doctor asi dont know how to approach the subject and tell him, the few people i have told barely understand so i dotn know how a stranger can understand. Im quite guarded, i cover up my feelings genrally so its not seen unless i show them, i make sure im not in a public place if im out of control. Its my own fault i know but i dotn know how to askfor help

Alice
15-11-05, 22:17
Moogle its not your fault at all, asking for help can be daunting if you are confused about how you are feeling. But try to see a doctor, they really can help you, and they understand about depression and all the symptoms of it so you may not have to go into too much detail if you dont want to. Try writing things down, maybe a list of your feelings, or problems youre facing, when you go to the doctor just say youre having problems coping show them the list and ask for their advice. I think you need reassuring that what youre feeling is normal for depression and anxiety, and whilst all of us on here can relate to your symptoms, your doctor can put your mind at rest that you arent going mad or anything, and they can help you.

Have a think about it anyway. Also do a couple of searchs using the search function at the top, im sure you'll find other people with your symptoms and worries. Also theres the herbal remedies page too, with info on St Johns Wort which is a natural anti-depressant and other herbal medication which you could use if you find yourself unable to go to the doctor just yet.

Best of luck!
xx