PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Anxiety When I Wake Up.. Remedies, Suggestions?

newskin0318
27-11-09, 20:44
My anxiety is at it's peak first thing in the morning. I wake up at about 4:00 AM (not by choice) and feel awful. The anxiety is high, I shake and tremor, and have difficulty going back to sleep.

I am taking Zoloft again (only on day 5) and my Doctor did give me Ativan, which I've taken a couple of times. I break the pills in half (0.5mg) and they help me when I'm going out someplace to dull the anxiety.

I know this might sound too wishful, but is there anything anybody could suggest or recommend that has helped them curb the first thing in the morning anxiety?

I wish it was just as easy as having a cup of tea right before bed!

I did try some trial and error - Taking Tylenol PM on back to back nights, that didn't help. I tried without Tylenol PM last night, and still woke up very anxious.

Like I said - Probably just wishful thinking, but I do believe in natural remedies.

Thanks very much for any input.

mikejames
27-11-09, 21:39
Well you may as well be me

I wake up with a dread unknown for no reason but if I get through the first hour then I will do the day

Sorry can not offer any advice apart from just talk to yourself and say come on come on get there

Stay positive - I do every morning and try and smile

MIKE

melvin
27-11-09, 21:42
hey im the same i get up all hrs of the night i just deep breath and try go back to sleep

alunthebont
27-11-09, 22:17
Do you drink a lot of tea or coffee in the daytime? that can be a cause of your anxiety.
read a good book at bedtime even a childs book,good easy reading,try it.

all the best to you

newskin0318
27-11-09, 22:33
Thanks for the responses guys.

No, I do not drink much caffeine at all - One small cup of coffee in the morning is it.

I'm perfectly calm and relaxed when I go to sleep, and the sleep is fine from say 10:00pm until 4:00am, but that is when, morning after morning, I wake up with that horrible anxious feeling in my stomach.

It gets a tiny bit better as I get up, and get my day going. I only truly find relief, at this point, if I take an Ativan. I feel like myself for 6 hours, but then it seems to start creeping back.

Mya
28-11-09, 02:13
I am going to begin doing this - advice given to me by my mother in law.

Think of 3 things you are grateful for BEFORE you even get out of bed.

This is the hard part - it has to be 3 different things everyday.

It is very hard to try and program our mind this way, however, I truely believe if we focus on the present and how much we already have to be grateful for, that it may help to alleviate some of the negativity.

Believe me though - the mornings are horrible for me too. Sometimes I wake up and I am almost convulsing in fear. I do know though that in reality I have a life that most would be envious of - I am just too focused on what others think, as well as what the future holds, to be able to enjoy the things that I already have.

What is hard for me and what I dwell on the most is - losing those I am most grateful for. I am so wrapped up in protecting those things, that I am not enjoying them now when I have them. I know I cannot plan what is in store for tomorrow. This is a very hard concept for me to come to terms with, but I am willing to accept whatever it is I need to do to look past that and enjoy the present. Good luck.

Bill
28-11-09, 02:57
As the day draws to a close and we start thinking about bed, it provides us with a feeling of security because the "ordeal" of getting through the day is nearly over.

However, the moment we wake we immediately become aware that the ordeal is about to start all over again and somehow we have to find a way to survive getting through the day. Naturally then we wake feeling anxious because the thought of the ordeal of getting through the day ahead frightens us sick!

So, as you ask, how do we wake feeling relaxed and looking forward to each day?

We identify what it is that makes each an ordeal and we treat it.

So then what could these causes be?

Too much stress at work in a job we hate? Cure- We find a wayto ease the pressures such as delegating but if the stress cannot be avoided, we start looking for a job that we'll enjoy that will make us want to get up each day because we'll be looking forward to it.

Panics? Cure- we learn not to be afraid of panics and find ways to ease the stresses causing the panics.

There will be other fears and stresses but the cure is virtually along the same lines. However, until we treat our fear or stresses, we'll keep waking feeling afraid at the thought of surviving each day.

The ultimate cure is already within "us" but we can't see it or don't feel able to tap into it without help which is why we look for alternative ways to cope with our fears but they only treat the symptoms and not the underlying causes.:winks:

barrywin
28-11-09, 03:40
Try this,
Upon waking -- instead of going into auto pilot anxiety mode make a point of really focusing and noticing everything around you in minute detail in every room that you go into -- think of who made the clothes hanger that is left lying on the floor or who made whatever items that are on the dresser. be curious and notice all the colours of every single item in the bedroom and bathroom etc.... This takes the focus away from ourselves and puts our brain into an active positive curious mode. We take so many things for granted and don't NOTICE all the tiny wonderful things. Increase your awareness and your anxiety will dissolve. Also before going to sleep replay the events of the whole day in your minds eye changing all/any bad things that might have happened into positive / fun/ funny/ exciting / different outcome events. Going to sleep with happy thoughts gives us a much stronger chance of waking up feeling happy!
best of luck,
Barry