PDA

View Full Version : Morning Anxiety

barrywin
28-11-09, 04:01
Try this,
Upon waking -- instead of going straight into auto pilot anxiety mode and s checking yourself for every possible ailment under the sun, make a point of really focusing and noticing everything around you in minute detail in every room that you go into --from your bedroom and the bed you lie on every night, to the sheets, what colour are they, what colour is the duvet or blanket, what is it made from, where did you buy it, is it in good condition, think of who made the clothes hanger that is left lying on the floor or who made whatever items that are on the dresser, bed side table etc. I bet you see things you didn't even realize were there.
Be curious and notice all the colours of every single item in the bedroom and bathroom etc....
Carry this on as you wash your face etc. What make are the taps, what brand name are the towels, look at the fluffiness on the towel, how is that done....... I think you get my point by now
We tend to LOOK but not really SEE or NOTICE all the wonderful colours/textures etc of items of things in our own homes and on our way to work etc.... make a point of noticing as many new things as you can each day and wonder how did they get there, who made them, who bought them, put them there etc......??????

Are the birds singing? Can you hear the wind? What can you hear?

INCREASE YOUR AWARENESS AND WATCH YOUR ANXIETY VANISH.

Have you ever been feeling anxious and then maybe a piece on the radio or TV or a phone call or emergency has caught your attention and distracted you so much that you completely forgot about your anxiety
I bet you have!!

This takes the focus away from ourselves and puts our brain into an active positive curious mode. We take so many things for granted and don't NOTICE all the tiny wonderful things. Increase your awareness and your anxiety will dissolve.

Also before going to sleep replay the events of the whole day in your minds eye changing all/any bad things that might have happened into positive / fun/ funny/ exciting / different outcome events. Going to sleep with happy thoughts gives us a much stronger chance of waking up feeling happy!
best of luck to all,

As ever, all positive/negative feedback is greatly appreciated
Barry

A Mighty Oak Tree is merely an Acorn that stood its ground!

looking4answers
28-11-09, 05:17
A great post.. and a wise one..Take away your focus on yourself and put it on something or perhaps someone else ..and it will set you free.. even a pet..Works for me..sometimes.. Michael

ash1807
28-11-09, 08:38
Barry,

I think what you are describing is similar to 'mindful meditation'. Yes it does work..... but bloody hard !

Veronica H
28-11-09, 10:48
:yesyes:great post:bighug1:thanks Barry.

Veronica

chickpea
28-11-09, 11:58
Excellent advice :yesyes:

I find the best thing I can do when I wake feeling anxious, is to get up and start the day - do ANYTHING but lie there festering!
Even getting my daughter and son to school in the car works - by the time I've got home, I'm feeling better.

Distraction, distraction, distraction.
Yes, it can be hard but just keep trying.

Go to bed recalling every little positive thing about the day, no matter how small. List your positive abilities/qualities, remind yourself of your own worth.
Finally, remember there is no monster waiting around the corner - just yourself. And if you went to bed feeling ok, nothing has actually changed.

I've done all these things and they DO work.:):):):):):):):)

Gaza
28-11-09, 12:12
Distraction techniques, although at first a little difficult beacuse your minds racing and concerned over the bodily sensations, is by far the best method for dealing with daily anxiety. I use a note book and rate the anxiety level and then practice the outward focus of attention away from myself and this sets the mind up for the rest of the day to focus outwardly and not be drwan inwardly. Great post, Barry.

barrywin
28-11-09, 14:24
I like to think of it as an AWARENESS technique using my mind to focus rather than using it as a "distraction" technique. I find this way the anxiety doesn't have a chance to "get a grip" as I'm looking for new things with a curious wondering mind.

Best wishes to all,
barry

chickpea
28-11-09, 14:36
Distraction does rather suggest a sort of running away from, I agree.
Awareness is a better word for it, even if it only involves being aware of the positives in life.:)

Uncomfortable thoughts lead to uncomfortable feelings, therefore positive thoughts lead to positive feelings.

EmmaJane
28-11-09, 14:53
A very good post Barry and I totally agree with it. X

steven67
28-11-09, 17:06
this is very true