PDA

View Full Version : Cant get past this fear!!!!

Alisonj
28-11-09, 05:25
I had surgery 7 weeks ago. I had heparin type shots while in there because it was an abdominal surgery and a major surgery. I became very very paranoid after that I was going to get a DVT. I thought about it all the time. The longer post op I was the more I calmed down. Last weekend I went to the hospital with chest pain and because I had the surgery they did tests to rule out a PE or DVT. All the tests came back fine. But I am still freaking out over it. I get the odd pain here and there in my legs and start to worry its a clot. I have been taking baby aspirin and any vitamin that helps with circulation. The one test they did was a d-dimer which was negative and it determines if you have a clot. But yet I am still a mess. I have had three babies and no clots, other surgeries and no clots so I am at a low risk but this is what my mind has decided to freak out about. They tested my INR, A-TPP, platelets, and a whole bunch of other things so I should be reassured, but yet I spend half the night googling.
Please help. I dont know how to get past this one. Normally when the tests come back I am fine and move on but I am having a really hard time with this.

Alisonj
28-11-09, 05:26
I should mention that I have had several doctors reassure me that I am fine as well.

looking4answers
28-11-09, 06:56
Im so sorry sweetie about your surgeries. I think if I had to have any .. I would really freak out. I have been lucky so far.. I can understand your nervousness and anxiety . I would be like this all the time had it been me..I know that thinking about all that all the time can really get too you . I hope you are feeling better and clearing your mind since you have gotten the all clear..

I sit sometimes and think about every pain I have wondering what sinister thing is lurking in my body to get me.. then later something else hurts..Its probably from me laying around to much or being on the computer too much.. At night sometimes, my wife ask whats wrong and I tell her I can hear my heartbeat and it doesn't sound right..

She tells me to lay down and relax go to sleep and if Im here in the morning then im ok.. The next day she reminds me im still here and I was ok..The next time im complaining she comes back and says remember the other night lol.

Its funny I can't have no pity lol.. but thats ok..at least im pretty sure im in reasonable health but worry sometimes as well. Anyway big HUGS to you and take care ..You know we are always here for you..Michael

Typer
28-11-09, 11:50
The mind and the imagination is pretty awful. Like you I can be reassured for a short while but once I get something in my head about my heart...I am so anxious that I bring on some symptoms just by thinking too much.

Also, you have been through a lot medically from what you say and it's not unusual to have post op stress. Not sure what you op was, but it sounds like it was traumatic and you need time to get over that.

I hope you feel better soon. BTW I know what you mean about spending half the night googling - I did that last night and feel really whacked today.

Take care :hugs:

Alisonj
28-11-09, 17:24
Thank you both so much. Still alittle freaked out today but trying to not think about it.