PDA

View Full Version : Costochondritis, blood clot or lung cancer...can't decide!

Mondie
28-11-09, 15:11
I suffer from costochondritis (pain from inflammed ribs) and usually it makes my chest wall hurt at the front and side (especially to touch)

At the minute my chest is sore but I have a pain (tight pain) on my upper back and both shoulder blades.

My thinking (I know it's not very good thinking!) is that I have either a blood clot or lung cancer. Maybe it is my costo radiating to my back?
Anyone got any insights?
Thanks x

valleybear
28-11-09, 15:44
Hi Mondie
I have costo also and I have pain in my back and shoulder blades. I always thought that it was fibromyalgia (which I also suffer from) but maybe it has something to do with the costo. I reassure myself by reaching back and gripping my muscles just around the shoulder blade...the pain is so bad that I know it is muscular!! Sounds a bit drastic, but works for me. Also I have had it for a long long time and reckon that if it was anything to do with my lungs, I would have breathing difficulties by now! Same goes for blood clot..only probably faster onset of other symptoms. I hope this helps. XX

sarah jayne
28-11-09, 15:57
I also suffer from costo and it often radiates to my back. Its awful pain and i wouldnt wish it on anyone. Do you use lidocaine patches ?
Sarah x

margaret jones
28-11-09, 16:14
Mondie hi

You poor thing i to suffer from this and at the moment it is giving me hell, i cant take strong pain killers as they dont suit me . The shoulder and back pain i also suffer and my Physio has given me excercises to try and relief this, unfourtunatly this has made my costAL pain worse.So to me this proves that they are all interlinked . Try not to worry i know it is easy to say but stressing makes mine worse .

Take Care Margaret

Mondie
28-11-09, 18:16
Thankyou for your replies; much appreciated. I'm sure it is related to my costo, but HA just makes you bypass the obvious and jump to the worse case doesn't it? Anyway it feels a bit better now, still sore but not as bad. Like you Margaret I can't take painkillers as they upset my stomach so rely on ibruprofen gel, what are the patches you mentioned Sarah?
Thanks again x

sarah jayne
28-11-09, 19:03
I was prescribed them by the pain clinic. You stick them on your chest for 12 hours every day. I wear them at night. They take about a month to start working. Apparently they are very expensive so doctors dont like prescribing them ! Ask your doctor about them, it might be worth giving them a try.
Sarah x