PDA

View Full Version : Christmas panic

Barb
16-11-05, 10:30
well the christmas stress has started, sleep well and as soon as i wake it starts, my worst symptom is a tight, heavy feeling in my chest which scares me to death as i have a fear of heart attack and it just wont go. Can anyone tell me what causes this to happen and what i can do to help myself, i do get this every year and had to have a doc out once who gave me beta blockers, but they didnt help. I love christmas and this always spoils the build up for me. I have been doing so well lately and now the fear is back with a vengance. HELP PLEASE

Luv Barb xxx

mum2four
16-11-05, 10:59
I get the xmas stress/anxeiety issues every year i'm so sick of this year that i want xmas to be over with right now desipte have 4 kids and being able to aford xmas i just feel like i dont want to deal with it this for what eva reason. Part of me feels it would easier if i couldn't afford xmas at least then I would have as many choice to sift threw. I wouldn't be wondering what to bye my kids I just bye what i could afford instead of feeling bad about thing i think I should or shouldn't get.

I hate the argument's i have with my self at this time of year's I dont know which is more import or which is more scarey. I hate the thoughts that my mum has to get better thing than i do for my kids and i hate the thought's about my partner's mum and the looks she give's and that way i feel when people tell me I go over board with xmas and my kids like i not sopose to spoil them even thoe most of what i get is so cheap from sale during the year anyway. I just hate the whole thing xmas dosnt seem enjoyable this year for 1000 reason.

Piglet
16-11-05, 13:12
I love and loathe Xmas all at the same time.

I think we need to be aware it can be a stressful time and not try too hard to be perfect over it.

My fear is the same as yours Barb as I get the same physical feelings.

Love Piglet:)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Meg
16-11-05, 14:17
Barb.

What exactly is the Christmas stress ?? Really examine it and try to figure out the detail of what it brings that you hate.. I could guess but don't want to put words in your mouth.

Then we can perhaps work on a strategy to lessen the worries

Wait till Charlie sees this....

The heart attack thing is just the physical reaction to triggers far more useful to dwell on and identify so you can work on them..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

carlin
16-11-05, 14:26
Hi Barb, sorry you feel a bit low right now, so many people are the same at christmas, anxiety or not, what i try to do, is buy or order everything as early as possible, i am always writing lists, planning in advance, anything to make it a pleasure not a chore, as for the dinner etc..i do a sunday lunch for quite a few anyway, i always feel panicky doing that, but as you know, i always survive, i think so what if an extra few are coming round? As for the chest, deep breathes, don't be frightened as it will get worse, as you say you have had it before at this time of year and you are still here (along with another golden oldie) to tell the tale. This christmas will be a brill one for you Barb. xxxxxxjean

Barb
16-11-05, 15:03
Thanks everyone for the support i suppose a lot of us will feel the same, Meg i hate the feeling of my nerves being heightened by something that i actually feel excited by. I have always made a big thing of christmas, spend days decorating the house, by loads of pressies and have 10 to dinner this year. I just wish i could enjoy doing it all without all the constant anxiety symptoms, jelly legs tight pressure chest ect.

Luv Barb xxxx

Meg
16-11-05, 15:31
Barb.

I'm glad I didn't guess or I would have been wrong

Ok. You may or may not know yet (CD3) that nervousness and excitement are in fact physiologically exactly the same process with different thoughts inserted.

So in this case all those feelings are good ones but because from habit the sensations you get, you automatically associate with negative experiences leading to anxiety your poor innards are totally confused as you're happy but exhibiting your usual symptoms for negativity.

Keep a real close eye on what you're telling yourself from within and start to try to keep it upbeat and build some excitements anchors and mantras.

Meg xx

Barb
16-11-05, 15:46
Thanks Meg i will do that, i am curious to know what you were guessing.

Luv Barb xxx

Lottie32
20-11-05, 18:44
Don't even get me started on b****y Christmas.

I hate it. It's commercial exploitation, it starts far too early. I mean the summer show season hadn't even finished and the so**ing shops had already got Christmas decorations in.

The last three Christmases have been really awful. In fact, thinking about it I'm sure it was more than the last three, but they are still prominent in my mind.

I mean it's bad enough as it is with the dark nights and mornings, never seeing the sun, the cold, the ice, the wind and the rain, without having to cope with being "happy" and having a "good time"

We have minimised the damage by moving our "festive" season to my sisters house, so we can be in control, but it's still nigh on intolerable.

Despite the fact that I have cooked lunch every year since my dad died (thats six turkeys and enough brussells to keep a third world country in food for a month), my mum ALWAYS responds when I say I am cooking lunch at my sisters with "that'll be nice, I've cooked Christmas lunch everyday since me and your father were married (thats 43 years for those not in the know). She has temporary memory loss about the last six years. Then having said that it's great we are cooking, she cannot butt out and leave us too it, consequently ending in a row. For christ sake, I've worked in catering on and off since I was 16. How difficult is it to steam some veg and chuck a turkey in the oven. For heavens sake there are only five of us.

And we have an argument about what time to eat, as Fred the Dentist is never hungry, and prefers to go out and get pi**ed instead, but mum insists he comes to eat with us, and therefore wants lunch at tea time, and tries to get it late every year.

And we have to watch videos of his dead wife. I mean, how fcuking festive is that????

Well this year I don't care. I may even go and join some friends instead. I'm going to do my shopping next week. If I forget anybody then tough. And I'm not sending any cards either, so that cuts out another chore. I see people every day anyway, and I'm giving the money I'd spend on cards to the Macmillan Unit, who frankly will make more use of the money than the recycling bins at Boots.

And I've already compiled a montage of videos featuring dead horses I used to compete on, to compete with Fred the Dentists dead wife on a cruise ship. I'm mean it's not even an interesting setting. Do you have any idea how boring half an hour video of the sea can be, I mean it's just a great expanse of bl**dy water. (I must just point out that Freds wife is alive on the film, he didn't take a corpse on holiday)

Last year I was well chuffed, I got through Christmas without my usual seasonal depressive episode, where I ended up back at the doctors and on double prozac before the new year. Last year I actually got until the middle of January before I slipped off the rails again.

Consequently I'm dreading this year, and am determined that I won't fall off the rails again. I hate New Year nearly as much as Christmas.

There seems to be so much pressure on to have a fab time, get on with everybody, and party on. Everybody seems to try and achieve this media induced state of euphoria, and most of them don't seem able to reach this plateau unless they get totally off their heads. I like a drink and don't mind getting a bit tipsy, but I hate getting drunk, and even more so, hate the day after the night before feeling.

The shops are full of party clothes, and you can't buy anything that doesn't involve santas and snowmen and robins. Well in my book, a robin is for life, not just for Xmas. I like party clothes, but I prefer to limit my wearing of silk slip dresses to the summer when it is warm, and not sub zero temperatures. Living on a hill it always snows on New Years eve, and it's virtually impossible to get anything nice to wear that you can walk home in without spending the next three weeks in bed recovering from hypothermia. Don't people ever look in the mirror? What is attractive about walking around with blue marbled tripe legs?

Don't get

carlin
20-11-05, 19:05
So I won't be getting a card this year then Charlie?????? only teasing mate, i know how so many people feel about christmas and agree to a certain extent, things have changed so much over the years, (duh!) obviously, but i try to keep it as simple as possible and get together with family whom i maybe haven't been able to see regularly throughout the year,when my kids were younger it was a lovely time, now they are older, we just look forward to having some time off of work and being together? and this year my little nephew will be with us (1st christmas), he was born with downs and has been progressing so well throughout this year that we aim to celebrate with him and his mum too, so that will be nice. As for the videos you are forced to watch i couldn't help but smile...sorry. we just stick to james bond here!!! only joking xxxxxxxxxxxxxjean

Keitharcher
20-11-05, 19:12
Wow you and christmas dont get along at all, im dreading it this year as well - All I can say is smile sweetly and go with the flow just keep singing christmas carols to yourself and stuff everybody else at the sme time as you are stuffing the turkey

Keitharcher

nomorepanic
20-11-05, 19:48
Charlie - Fantastic post as ever - I love the one you did before but that one was even funnier.[:P]

You are totally mad woman and I love you for that;)

Barb - try to plan everything ahead so it is not left till last minute. Get anyone and everyone to help out and cheat and buy pre-prepared veg etc to save time.

Make a list of what needs doing and when it needs doing by and try to stick to it.

Not sure I am helping much but just a few suggestions!

Nicola

Lottie32
20-11-05, 20:31
My top tips to surviving Xmas

1. Hibernate
2. Emigrate
3. Become a non believer
4. If 1 - 3 are not possible then do you xmas shopping early. Have a day off work and go on a Wednesday morning. The shops will be pretty empty
5. Make use of the Boots / Woolworths etc 3 for 2 and buy some extras (make sure they are soemthing nice, cos if you don't use them for emergencies you can spend January locked in the bathroom wallowing in raspberry juniper and turnip beautifying body elixior). Then you will have some thing in hand to cope with those wonderful people who arrive on your doorstep unannounced and with a sodding present
6. Order a turkey crown from the butchers thus you only have to do turkey for a day, don't have a carcass that won't fit in the bin, and won't spend the next three days eating turkey curry, turkey stir fry etc
7. Prep all your veg on Xmas Eve afternoon. Everything lasts perfectly ok kept in cold water
8. Buy everything else ready made from M&S (or similar)
9. Make sure you have loads of meds on hand - the doctors are always shut for longer than you think and it becomes impossible to get a repeat prescription. I'm sure that this year will be like the others, and several members will end up doing cold turkey cos the chemist was shut (mind you, beats eating it!!! LOL)
10. Repeat after me - it is only one day. It is only one day. It is only one day.
11. Make sure you have planned Lots of things you Want to do (even if it involves locking yourself into your bedroom for a day he he)
12. Chill as much and where ever possible
13. Check supplies of stupid things like gaviscon, turkey foil, toilet roll and washing liquid
14. Where possible serve food on disposable crockery and use disposable cutlery. It will cut out any washing up, and with a bit of luck you will offend your guests and they will invite you to theirs next year!!!!!
15. Log on frequently. I can guarantee my Christmas will be worse than yours!!!!!!!!

Charlie

Nemesis - Rita QofS I JFDI'd THEM!!!!!!

trac67
20-11-05, 20:39
Charlie,

Thanks for that I am laughing so much, now christmas doesn't seem half as stressful.

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Piglet
21-11-05, 09:57
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
And we have to watch videos of his dead wife. I mean, how fcuking festive is that????

And I've already compiled a montage of videos featuring dead horses I used to compete on, to compete with Fred the Dentists dead wife on a cruise ship. I'm mean it's not even an interesting setting. Do you have any idea how boring half an hour video of the sea can be, I mean it's just a great expanse of bl**dy water. (I must just point out that Freds wife is alive on the film, he didn't take a corpse on holiday)

Charlie

Nemesis - Rita QofS I JFDI'd THEM!!!!!!

<div align="right">Originally posted by Lottie32 - 20 November 2005 : 18:44:18</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Charlie - this part caused my crunchy nut cornflakes to come out through my nose this morning (not a pretty sight)!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Love Piglet:D

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Piglet
21-11-05, 09:58
................ and I may have given myself a hernia!!!!

Barb
21-11-05, 17:52
Oh Charlie you are funny, you make my christmas sound like heaven. I
agrre with the M&S thing i order all my christmas food from there and just have to put it in the oven christmas morning and take all the compliments for all the effort i have put in ( NOT ). I shall look forward to logging in christmas day to see how we are coping or not, should be some funny stories. Thanks for all the replies, you have really cheered me up

Luv Barb xxxxxx

nomorepanic
21-11-05, 18:26
Charlie is so funny.

If anyone wants to read her previous Xmas post then it is here ....

CHRISTMAS - and how to survive it? Help (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=342)

Nicola

Trev
21-11-05, 18:54
Charlie, very funny :D:D:D:D:D

Makes my Xmas seem quite tame!!

Cheers,
Trev