PDA

View Full Version : Hi there

hester
29-11-09, 10:58
Hi, I'm new and wondering what to say, or rather, how to say it. I found the site through Google, looking for something to help with anxiety. I'm 49 and this has ruled much of my life, to the extent where it has affected my relationships - in my choice of partner and in my behaviour within the relationship. I think largely due to this I haven't had children, which is a regret, but I have to move forward and try to get something more out of my life. I still have have some vague hope that I can but I am struggling with the how. I have a good job but know I could have progressed further if not for this. I now don't want to proress further in my career but do want to progress in my life.

I've been on citalopram and paroxetine (what was my GP thinking?) but this isn't the answer. My main concern is that people don't/won't like me, so I tend to make sure they don't get close enough to find out whether they do or don't. I could be climbing Everest with the energy I expend on this! I think I have social anxiety but it hasn't actually been diagnosed as such. I know I come across as confident (fairly), stand offish, don't want to know, but I do. I would really like to make new friends but I 'frighten' them off. I have a long term partner but few friends otherwise - a close friend from schooldays died last year, which is another reason I want to get more enjoyment out of my own life - it's too short and this anxiety is just eating away at it.

So there you have it. It's 'good' to know others feel this way but I empathise with those who do - there must be a lot of exhausted people out there! I look forward to hearing from you.

nomorepanic
29-11-09, 11:00
Hi hester

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes