PDA

View Full Version : So near and yet so far

W.I.F.T.S.
16-11-05, 11:08
I've suffered from depression, anxiety, panic and high levels of stress for 3 years. For most of that time I've had all of them at once- if the panic subsides, then the depression becomes more prominent... However, recently I've been feeling like I've been getting better, which is partly down to discovering this site and also reading self-help books, becoming more proactive generally and the simple fact of time passing. The problem I have at the moment is that my head is feeling better, but I think that my body (after being SO uptight for 3 years) has yet to catch up with it and my chest feels very tight a lot of the time (which causes heart trouble anxiety), I get pinching sensations in my chest and my body is very tired, tense and achy. I'm only 29 and I've had all the tests done by the doctor recently, so I should be able to just put it down to anxiety.
I think the reason why it is such a big issue for me is that throughout my illness there have been periods where I have felt like I have been getting better, but actually recovery has still been a long way off. It confuses me that I can't properly retrace the chronology of my illness, for example I know that 2 years ago I could drive down to London without much trouble (something which is very daunting now), yet two years ago I was so depressed that I wouldn't get out of bed till well into the afternoon and I'd wear gloves in the house because I was so scared of an urge to tear my eye out.
Sometimes I think of depression as like a virus. I've had a couple of bouts of it before and thought I knew how to handle it, but it mutates and attacks you in different ways each times. I've had anxiety and panic about hurting myself and other people, about death, about the nature of life and the fact that we're little ants on this giant floating rock- I just wonder if (touch wood) I am coming to terms with those issues, then what is there left to be frightened of?!

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Piglet
16-11-05, 12:45
Hi wish,

Think what you have said is quite the normal pattern actually and most of us will identify with much, I know I do!!

Recovery doesn't seem to follow a nice neat path, there are lots of little side turns and cul de sacs along the route. I wonder if we should concentrate on making the best of the journey rather than concentrating on the destination!!!

Keep going hun - we are all on the same trip!:)

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Meg
16-11-05, 14:47
The wierd thoughts are a normal part of recovery.

Often when we're recovering and just getting over the total inward facing obsessive thoughts thing, we have new empty space in our mind and our thoughts pick on strange issues to dwell on to fill it just like you are now .. nothing out out the ordinary. Just thoughts.

It's a windy bumpy road and we don't have a GPS or even up to date map to help us.

You're doing fine.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?