PDA

View Full Version : IBS

messianictalmud
29-11-09, 22:55
Hi I was wondering if anyone can tell me how can I doctor know if someone has IBS or if there Anxiety is causing changes in bowel habits etc ?

Danny_dingle
29-11-09, 23:15
Hi Gaday,

My anxiety always messes about with 'that kind of thing', it is very very normal for that to happen! If you look down the left side of the page, there is even a section of advice on it! Might be worth having a look to put your mind at rest.

Take care,

Danny x

lauren6
30-11-09, 00:07
Anxiety is almost synonymous with IBS...so when you say is it anxiety causing the symptoms or ibs, in my case and in most, it's all connected. When I was younger, they didn't have te term IBS, they called it "nervous stomach" or "nervous bowel".

There is an immediate brain to gut reaction for many of us. For me, the minute I get anxiety, I get diarrhea. I seriously don't have time to get to a bathroom. It changed my life and has caused me to fear getting on a train, car, etc.

You know the expression "It scared the s%$# out of me?" Well, that's really the way it is! You ask how does a doctor know...well, it's more of a process of elimination. If they check for everything else and it's all normal, they will say IBS. I know there is a new test for IBS but haven't really investigated it. I just know I've had this since childhood and work around it the best I can. I would tell you, see a gastroenterologist and get a workup, blood test, stool samples if he thinks it's necessary, depending on your age, maybe a colonoscopy. And try to get some techniques for handling the anxiety.

looking4answers
30-11-09, 03:14
Absolutely.. can happen a lot especially with extreme nervousness .Hope you feel better soon. Michael

messianictalmud
30-11-09, 14:56
Cheers guys & gals, am seeing my Colorectal doc on Wednesday at the hospital.