PDA

View Full Version : Getting drunk to deal with it?

maxine
30-11-09, 00:20
Is it just me ?

I'm drinking loads more than normal just to deal with the current panic surging throught my body.

I cannot cope without it at the minute..please tell me it's not just me who is using drink to just feel normal???

I am soooooo p*ssed off!!!

Day 5 of Seroxat by the way.. meds are not helping!!!!!

Downsinthenorth
30-11-09, 01:33
No, I tried using alcohol to block things out - I just wanted some peace from those terrible feelings. The problem was that I became reliant on it, and had to drink more and more to get the same effect. Essentially it became yet ANOTHER problem that I had to deal with, on top of my chronic anxiety and depression.

Now I have to monitor my drinking very carefully. I don't allow myself to drink when I'm very low, and I only have one or two drinks at any one time, not very often. I have to be very careful because I let my drinking get out of hand in the first place, and because there is a history of alcohol abuse in my family.

I had to develop some non-destructive strategies for dealing with the build-up of anxiety that I suffer from. For me, meditation doesn't work, but I have friends that swear by it and use it to help themselves wind down. Its just a matter of experiment to find out what works for you.

Maybe you also need to go back to your doctor, and talk to them about your medication. I find it helps to know how long I should expect to wait before the drugs start to work - though of course it does vary from person to person.

Finally, don't feel guilty about the excessive drinking thing - you are in a lot of pain and it's understandable that you felt you needed a quick fix. It doesn't do you any favours though, as it often makes the symptoms worse, affects your mind and body's resilience, and doesn't mix with meds.

Hope this didn't sound too preachy - I am certainly not in the position to be moralistic about alcohol!!!

Look after yourself. :)

looking4answers
30-11-09, 02:10
Im sorry you are feeling so bad .. I hope you feel better.. I wish I could drink..I would give anything.. to drink..but im allergic. Take care Michael

Milo
30-11-09, 06:05
Hi Maxine,

You are not alone - I also drink a lot to ease everything and make me feel better.
The only problem is that I feel like death the next day and cycle starts over. Trying to cut it out now.

amandaj
30-11-09, 09:51
hi maxine i also used to drink to blot it all out i became addicted my anxiety was much worse when i was drinking ive found that out now ive stopped,its been 13 weeks since i touched a drop i had to have a dettox for it though ive not even fancied a drink my anxiety hasnot gone all together but ive found people are willing to help more if you dont drink with other services, i know its hard once you start but its not the answer in the end it just covers up the problems i feel like im dictating now but im not just trying to help if you need to talk feel free to pm me i was drinking 3 bottles of wine a day and lager on top of it
good luck
amandaxx

tasia
30-11-09, 10:20
Alcohol makes anxiety worse. I was once borderline alcoholic this happened when my mum died and depression set in I ended up drinking more and more thus resulting in me self harming more and more...In the end my psychiatrist told me I was borderline alcoholic and I had to stop drinking so much...I now have to monitor my drinking I usually have a few wines at the weekend but if I overdo it apart from the normal hangover my anxiety is much much worse...so I try to control my drinking now...You dont have to stop drinking just try cutting down you will feel better for it believe me...Goodluck x

sam100
30-11-09, 12:31
For a long time now I drank a glass of wine when I had panic and it works for me, I also drink a bit at weekends but Im cutting down now to allow for the drinks when panic hits. Ive never really gone over 1 glass of wine when in panic in years so allthough Im a drinker I dont let it go any further than that and its enough to stop panic coming on. I know if I get drunk I have a guaranteed lightweight anxiety the next day which I always have had and think most people do, its just not handy putting ourselves in that position when we suffer from things like panic. I told my doctor and he said its fine to have one drink if it helps you, but try and steer clear of getting too boozy too often, I know its a great feeling to be relaxed from panic when youre boozing but we always have to keep the larger picture in our minds.

ian1
30-11-09, 13:12
Alcohol makes me much worse, haven't had a drink in over two years now.

suzy-sue
30-11-09, 13:49
Drinking is the worst thing you should do if you suffer with anxiety .If you have just started on medication your anxiety will be worse for a while .Drinking wont help .Maybe if you tell your Dr the side effects are becoming bad he will give you some Diazapam to see you through the next couple of weeks ,they will help more .I didnt have a drink for 8 months when I started on my Antidepressants ,they need time to work and you should be stable on your dose first ,I have the odd drink now and im fine .If I have too much my anxiety is terrible the next day, and the headaches are dreadful .Take care Sue x

sarah jayne
30-11-09, 13:55
I frightened of having a drink in case it makes me worse. The last time i had alot to drink i had the worst panic attack ive ever had so im not prepared to put myself through that again. I wish i could though, i miss drunken nights lol.
Sarah x

munkeyinblack
30-11-09, 14:25
You should search for posts by Barrywin. He has some really helpful ways to deal with anxiety without reliying on alcohol. Really hope you feel better soon x

maxine
30-11-09, 15:12
Thank for your replies,

I'm not getting drunk, drunk every day of the week but i noticed the other week just how much i was drinking compared to before all the anxiety started again.

I'm going to ring the doc and see if he will give me something to take the edge off the anxiety right now until the meds kick in but i think i'm going to try and knock the booze on the head for a few weeks as i'm worried it's going to get out of control.

That's all i need.. a booze addiction as well as major panic attacks.

Thanks again guys and gals

Maxine x

DeMac
30-11-09, 15:43
Hi, Alcohol doesn't help with problems it adds to them, its the biggest depressant of all - Antidepressants medications will never work while the person is drinking. We all should know by now that it clearly states on the labels - not to drink wile taking meds..

all the best - Dee

Xman2007
01-12-09, 13:17
I have relied on alcohol and other substances since I was 16 to cope with anxiety and depression, I guess I have a very addictive personality and there has always been "something" there. Nowadays I only ever touch drink, I went through a bad few years with it where I was drinking every night, though I can keep a hold of it now and I tend not to drink much in the week and just drink on a Friday and Saturday night cause I enjoy it and thats my time off. If you feel you need to rely on something to cope then go back to your GP's and talk to him about your meds not having the desired effect and what options you have.

fishman65
01-12-09, 15:02
Hi Maxine,my answer to this falls pretty much into line with what has been said so far.Alcohol is all very well while its in your system and giving you that high.But,its a depressant in the long run and only serves to exacerbate any anxiety/depression you are having.Plus,it interferes with medication and defeats the object of taking any.I say this through personal experience,but good luck with whatever you decide to do.Take care now,

Hugs, Fishy

EmmaJane
01-12-09, 15:39
I cant drink as I'm scared it will do me some harm or make me feel worse. My brother was an acoholic and died 10 years ago tomorrow. Alcohol is a depressant and once you stop, you will feel just the same, if not worse as before.

xx

gcl86
01-12-09, 18:28
I cant drink as I'm scared it will do me some harm or make me feel worse. My brother was an acoholic and died 10 years ago tomorrow. Alcohol is a depressant and once you stop, you will feel just the same, if not worse as before.

xx

Im sorry to hear that Emma Jane, this topic is close to my heart too, my father suffers from really bad depression, for years he drank to deal with it and for years everyone in our family suffered. I feel its the worst thing to do in trying to deal with other issues, it will only make things worse. Im proud to say after a sharp realisation after a massive argument in the family he hasnt drank for 7 years and me an my sister agree weve not ever seen my dad so happy or indeed had a relationship with him like we do now. I feel that its no coincidence he really got better after stopping drinking.
Theres nothing wrong with a glass of wine or going out with friends at the weekend although!
G

lee270780
01-12-09, 19:47
im going through this at the minute, ive been drinking for pretty much 4 days now just to get rid of the horrible feelings you feel as if you cannot function properlty and also im not sleeping its horrible feel as if im on anotr planet to every1 else x

fishman65
01-12-09, 20:25
Lee,I've been in exactly the same position as you in the past.I know how hard it is,but the only way out of this is to stop the drinking.If its panic attacks that are making you drink,then its highly possible that the booze is either making the panics worse or is actively causing them.That's what happened with me,the drink was a temporary solution but ultimately made me worse.Please see your GP who will be able to help you with this.Keep us posted and pm me if you want to ok?There IS light at the end of the tunnel cos I've been through that tunnel and came out on the other side.

Take care now, Fishy

Pyro
02-12-09, 00:40
I speak from experience when I say booze is not the answer.
I kept a bottle of vodka around as a bit of medicine and I ended up with liver damage. This is something you do not want on your mind.

nosurrender
02-12-09, 10:41
I would love to get drunk and really enjoy myself, but from past experiences I know that I'll be paying for it for the next 2+ weeks by way of hightened anxienty levels and panic attacks.
I don't drink at all now.

maxine
02-12-09, 11:18
Hiya everyone,

Thank you for all your replies :)

After a fair bit of thought I have realised that getting drunk is not helping, as people have said it's nice for a bit then i feel like death after it, hangovers are hell now.

As i'm on day 6 of new meds i thought i'd better cut down the booze a heck of a lot, so that's what i've done.

After last Friday i've only had the one or two of an evening, so not being drunk, just calm.

I've decided to i should at least give my body some time to adjust to the new medication and as i should hopfully have chilled out by xmas i'll be able to enjoy a few reasonable drinks then.

It's not the answer for dealing with this, and i'm starting to feel a wee tiny bit better on the meds so maybe that's a good sign.

Maxine :)

EmmaJane
02-12-09, 11:46
Good choice Maxine

snippy
02-12-09, 20:40
Hi, new user here,,,i drink also to blot out and then i feel relaxed and able to deal with,,,i have been told i am self mediacting,,i wouldnt take with drugs tho,,be to worried about side effects,,,,,you are not alone

DanixVx
02-12-09, 22:44
hello there. i used to drink all the time to deal with my panic attacks. to the point where i was drinkin when i woke up till when i slept. one day i decided to just quit drinking and everything else and i found that it actually stopped the intensity of the panic attacks

36star
05-12-09, 11:05
I have been drinking on a night time, just to try and shut my head up and get some sleep. I know I shouldn't, but it seems to be the only thing that makes me sleep.

eva12
08-12-09, 12:34
I, like some others, feel drinking makes my panic worse.But it's a case of finding whats right for you...a glass of wine sometimes chills me out and takes the edge off..but as soon as i start to feel a little woozy i start to panic...can't win!!
Talking about it helps though!

Macchiavelli
14-12-09, 21:25
i think alcohol is great at the time, it makes your symptoms subside for a short while, but come back 10 times worse the next day. Will have to be another thing I add to the list of things I cant enjoy