PDA

View Full Version : New prozac user anyone ?

ash1807
30-11-09, 09:41
I had been on Citalopram for the last 3 years which the doctor now believes has stopped working.

I am on now on Prozac day 7 at 20mg. I expected some discomfort when I swopped over like a bit more anxiety, but nothing like what I am feeling at the moment.

Lack of sleep - I even took a Zopiclone last night, but still could not drop off
Heightened anxiety- Gone thruogh the roof
No Visual focus
Mentally unable to focus/concentrate much

After quite a number of years on Ads, I thought I would be able to cope with the side-effects, but sadly not

Would be good if someone who has/had swopped over similar to me chip in with their experienses

ash

looking4answers
30-11-09, 09:47
My wife has been on it for 20 years and its done her a world of good.. Good luck. .
Thats prozac I meant.. take care.. Michael

barrywin
30-11-09, 10:36
Hi Ash,
I'm not on Proxac anymore -- psychiatrist switched me to mirtizapine but when I was he also have me Ativan and Povanil so that I would sleep soundly at night. Maybe talk to your GP/psychiatrist again so you can avoid these horrible symptoms.
best wishes,
barry

Downsinthenorth
30-11-09, 13:44
Strange, whenever I go back onto prozac I find I can't STOP sleeping for weeks. When I AM awake, I feel like a zombie, and everything feels unreal. It just goes to show that we're definately individuals when it comes to our response to medication.

Gradually, these symptoms disappear as my body adjusts to the drug. I have noticed, though, the worse my anxiety/depression was (before I started taking prozac), the longer it takes for the symptoms to die down. Don't quite understand why.

KK77
01-12-09, 01:01
I swapped from citalopram to fluoxetine and had similar problems to you. Fluoxetine is a much more stimulating AD compared to citalopram, and agitation, nervousness, insomnia are very common. But after a few weeks your body will start to tolerate the drug and these SEs will diminish. Also fluoxetine is a slow acting drug with a long half life, so it takes longer to act than other SSRIs. On the positive side though, it causes far less withdrawal symptoms than other ADs.

ash1807
02-12-09, 14:50
Thank you everyone who replied.
I am on Day 10 now and the SEs are just as bad; lack of sleep, heightened anxiety and lack of visual focus

Getting rather tired of this now. Hope that it subsides soon

ash1807
03-12-09, 13:18
Woke up today with unbelievable anxiety and even after taking 20mg beta blocker is still there

Am quite worried that Prozac is unlikely to work for me

Anyone who swopped from citalopram to prozac, desperate to hear from you

ash

flix08
03-12-09, 18:08
I switched from Citalopram to Prozac, and I have found that although I do experience some side effects, they aren't as bad/long standing as with Citalopram. My main ones with Cit were: constantly sleeping, no hunger, dry mouth, headaches. With Prozac I fortunately am only experiencing small differences in sleeping patterns and dry mouth, although I am exhausted I think that's probably the depression...How long have you been on them? Ive been on for a week, my anxiety died down after 3/4 days xx

ash1807
03-12-09, 18:57
Hi Flix,
am on day 10, and if anything my anxiety is getting worse

laura1984
05-12-09, 15:19
hi, i am a new user of prozac 20mg and on day 6.
i have experienced so many side effects such as cramps, stomach upsets resulting in constant loo trips after eating, constant panic attacks, shakes, vision problems, sleeping to much and one morning experienced the feeling of being drunk which made my anxiety worse as i was walking the children to school at the time.
i have realised that coffee will increase the panic attacks considerably so have stopped drinking it.
the side effects have caused a great deal of stress and upset as i feel life is on hold until i feel better but at the same time i am determined to give them a good go and hopefully they will kick in soon

KK77
05-12-09, 15:28
hi, i am a new user of prozac 20mg and on day 6.
i have experienced so many side effects such as cramps, stomach upsets resulting in constant loo trips after eating, constant panic attacks, shakes, vision problems, sleeping to much and one morning experienced the feeling of being drunk which made my anxiety worse as i was walking the children to school at the time.
i have realised that coffee will increase the panic attacks considerably so have stopped drinking it.
the side effects have caused a great deal of stress and upset as i feel life is on hold until i feel better but at the same time i am determined to give them a good go and hopefully they will kick in soon

What you're experiencing is very common with Prozac. Unfortunately all these meds tend to make you feel worse before you get better and it's good that you're sticking it out. It's also wise to avoid caffeine till your body gets used to the drug. Hopefully, it'll be worth it.

Welcome to NMP.

pinkrose
06-12-09, 12:08
Yes, I switched for citalopram to fluoxetine. I had heightened anxiety for a few weeks and some days felt like I was going mad. Please don't give up. You need to give it time (a few more weeks). I feel so much better now - the best I've felt in a long, long time. Don't despair - what you're experiencing seems perfectly normal - as hard as it is! It will be worth it in the end.