PDA

View Full Version : Had my 1st Panic attack, quite frightening

Moirae
30-11-09, 11:32
Yesterday I had my first panic attack & was so frightened by it, didn't know what was going on, genuinely thought I was having a heart attack! After doing a few google searches today I see that these panic attacks are often misinterpreted as just that so I do feel a bit silly now about it, specially as my friends called an ambulance for me, just felt I was wasting their time when they could be helping someone with more serious problems :blush:

Not sure why it happened or what triggered it, I have had a difficult year from relationship breakup, overworking with 2 jobs, money problems (hence the 2 jobs!!!) and some other things but I cant really say I was thinking about any of that, I was absolutely fine & it just happened, very frightening experience which I am now worrying about if & when it will happen again. Im not sure I should be bothering my GP with this tbh, I'm taking this week off work as the paramedics that seen me recommended rest so am hoping that should be enough to sort myself out. All slightly confusing as it has never happened to me before & even as I am typing this i'm wondering why I came on here to post in the first place!!!! maybe this will help me understand a bit more.

Thanks for listening to my incoherent ramblings :unsure:

ronski
30-11-09, 11:53
Hi Moirae
Welcome to the site.

You are suffering from anxiety because you cannot have a panic attack with out it. You seem to be overdoing it both physically and emotionally so in some respects rest may help you but to be honest I believe that you need help from an understanding GP. The problem with panic attacks is the the thought that triggered the attack can be so fleeting that you would not recognise it. Your Brain can only respond to the now so any thought about the past and future can bring on the fight and flight response immediately. Your body is always true to you where your mind isn,t so that is the problem. You may be in no harm at all but if your mind trys to protect you then your body responds immediately and so causes the panic attack.

The most important things to remember are these, that the panic attack will never hurt you however unpleasent the attack is, and the other is not to avoid doing things because of them, as this is the roots and origins of agoraphobia. I know because I have been there. Dont underestimate the power and influence these attacks may hold over your life if you do not get help early on, so that they dont get a hold. You dont always need medication, what you need maybe is life coaching so getting those stresses down.

I hope this helps
Ron

Moirae
30-11-09, 12:40
Many thanks for replying Ronski & for the advice, as you sound like you know what you are talking about I will indeed make an appointment with my GP asap, spose it makes sense to see someone prompt as I wouldn't want this to get worse. Very strange as I'm normally such a confident easy goin type of person, this really has floored me! Feelin really sore today with all the muscle spasms I had, still a bit shaky & dizzy too!

Having a look around the forum this does seem like the place to be, lots of support & constructive answers.

Veronica H
30-11-09, 16:52
:welcome:To NMP. Glad that you have found us.

Veronica

willitstop
02-12-09, 12:24
Welcome :)

I totally agree with what ron said wise words :)

Moirae
02-12-09, 15:34
Hi people, just checking in, I am much improved since monday :) unfortunately I am still trying to get an appt. with my GP, my surgery only allocates so many appt's a day first come first served, but of a pain tbh but as I said I am feeling better, im not as tense as I was I feel much more relaxed after chatting to a good friend of mine who knows what I have been through this year & really has been there for me when I needed her most.

I do however still feel slightly depressed, feeling that I have nothing to look forward to in the future for a long time due to current events but I shall try & pick up, things like knowing people around me care are helping but I just can't seem to get myself out of it, I really am trying though.

Thanks again for the kind words :hugs:

ronski
03-12-09, 11:48
Hi Moirae

I am so pleased you are feeling better but still see the doctor, as these panic attacks can come out of the blue even if you feel relaxed. Once you have had one then you are always in line for others. the important thing to remember is not to fight them, all they show are the outward signs of to much adrenaline due to an overactive and unbalanced fear response.

If you have one then just feel what your body is doing to you and instead of fearing the symptoms and sensations which just adds more adrenaline, look at them with interest and say do more if you can and by doing that it will just fade away as quickly as it came. Its because you are not frightened of being frightened so no more adrenaline release so no more escillating symptoms and sensations.

And as for your depression, very understandable in the circumstances. I believe that is a condition called reactive depression and is usually sorted by showing an interest in a hobby or just trying to be positive in those areas that are good for you at the moment. Things will improve, medication might help but remember at the end of the day as far as anxiety is concerned only you will sort it. Anxiety is part of us and without it as a normal reaction to a dangerous situation we would not survive, so you will never get rid of it but you can with time dampen that trigger reflex that makes it act so inappropiately.

all the best
Ron

cascade70
04-12-09, 15:27
Hiya I have to say the big mistake that I made was when i was having panic attacks seven months ago i totalyy dismissed them, then i ended up in hospital as i thought i was having a heart attack. Three ECG's and a stress test and nothing wrong. I was advised to attend my GP and he said that i should seek some counselling, i did not accept and i thougth that i would be fine. Thats was the biggest mistake, as last month my anxiety levels peaked to the extent that i thought i was physically ill, i was avioding the worklaod at my job and i was down and depressed. I was getting the flight of fight response for six to seven hours at a time and it was a living nightmare. I am now attending CBT and massge sessions to untense my muscles and i am seeing the benefits of it. But if i went all those months ago and addressed the problem then, i would have made a full recovery by now, Instead i put up with six months of constant worry , negative thoughts and anxiety.

leigh32
05-12-09, 13:45
i had my first panic attack yesterday n had one again today.i nearly called an ambulance coz i really thought i was havin a heart attack.after i laid down for a bit then did some research i felt like a total wally having found out the symptoms were all from a panic attack.they r very scary.i hope u get a appontment with ur gp soon

messianictalmud
05-12-09, 14:08
Hi Moirae, you may have felt silly having an ambulance called to you etc, but honestly the ambulance and other medics won't mind at all cause they'll be glad that your not having or had a heart attack etc my GP always says to me it's better being safe then sorry, and at the end of the day you may feel daft but for you the symptons are real and so it's not a hoax call.
Hope you find your GP to be understanding and supportive.

Typer
11-12-09, 15:00
I cant really say I was thinking about any of that, I was absolutely fine

Sometimes its that very thing. We feel absolutely fine on the outside or in the head, but somehow it takes its toll and comes up like a volcano of stuff....unexpressed anger being the biggest culprit in my opinion. But it is just my opinion. I would say talk all those things through with a therapist if possible

ronski
11-12-09, 18:31
Hi Typer

Yes you are probably right, suppressed emotions particulary anger is as you say a trigger for giving us major nervous system problems, and in some cases more serious illnesses such as heart attacks and strokes. So if you feel pent up anger let it out or find a sport that you can vent your frustrations at.

Clayton the Panicked
13-12-09, 01:39
You Folks are great. This information is very informative for me and very helpful during my attacks. These attacks are awful...I too went to E.R. with thoughts that I was having a heart attack only to feel like a fool afterwards. I went back twice more before I figured out what was going on. Tough. This is the toughest thing I have ever faced...and worse yet it is myself. Awful just awful. Hang in there, I sure am trying too.