PDA

View Full Version : Making a fool of myself in public

Downsinthenorth
30-11-09, 12:02
One of the worst times was when I visited Tintagel in Cornwall (I was a big fan of Arthurian legends when I was a kid). Anyway, once I got there I realised that I really shouldn't go up there because I suffer from vertigo, amongst other things. See link for photo of site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andysouthwales/298251076/

One of my sisters persuaded me to "face my fear" and, against my better judgement, I managed to get myself up there. Wonderful place if you have a head for heights, but terrible if you haven't. There are only two ways down: the way you climb up, or by helicopter (ugh), so I felt horribly trapped up there. The feeling was made worse with the seagulls gliding around my head, as it increased my sense of being high up. When I finally managed to climb down it was only by clinging on to the side of the rocks by my fingers and inching down, crab-like, and very slowly. I don't know which was worse - the people staring at me openly (nearly all foreign), or the English pretending not to notice. I have seldom felt as pathetic and helpless as I did that day. :sad:

sam100
30-11-09, 12:21
Ah well at least you wont see those people again so you should only be embarrassed in that moment, dont forget even though it ended up being a washout you had the better side of your brain over ruling the panic side which is still a victory for you even though you had a bad experience!

Downsinthenorth
30-11-09, 12:26
Thanks Sam :)

gcl86
30-11-09, 17:54
I say well done fella!! like Sam said, your not going to clap eyes on any of those people again, i wouldnt say you were pathetic at all! Someone that suffers from vertigo grabbing their fear and going for it? A congrats from me mate!

margaret jones
30-11-09, 17:59
God i have just lookesd at the climb How did you do that i would have been in the Helicopter no way could i go up or down ,so well done and like the others say are you likely to bump into them again in the local shop ?? Take Care Margaret:ohmy:

Downsinthenorth
30-11-09, 18:15
Thanks for the kind comments. I am glad that I did it, although I don't think I could again.

The first and greatest victory is to conquer yourself; to be conquered by yourself is of all things most shameful and vile. Plato

BabyRachel
01-12-09, 10:07
I have a fear of making a fool of myself in public. But it manifests itself in health issues, like throwing up or urgently needing to go to the bathroom.

Its horrible! Im a pretty confident person within myself and I know we shouldn't care what others think but it just nags away at the inside of your skull!!

Well done is what I say. You acomplished something, you overcame your fear. Even if you had to go back down, so what? You made it up there!! And hopefully you will never have to do it again, but you will take the knowledge of knowing YOU DID IT with you for the rest of your life.

Xoxo.

Bluebelle
01-12-09, 22:39
You should be so proud of yourself ! This was a serious accomplishment-WAY TO GO !

How do you know? Maybe people were looking at your expert decsent or perhaps they were all in awe of your crab technique. It could be that any one watching you was doing so because you looked like an EXPERT professional cool I-Know-What-I'm-Doing kind of person !

No matter what you did well and everyone else is right- you are never going to see any of those people that were watching/admiring you !

looking4answers
01-12-09, 22:53
In the past I have felt this way ..about 10 years ago.. for a few years I lost the fear of fear.. It was great..in someways..I would climb to the highest places I had never been and look over the side. The higher the better..In the Sears tower ..really high in Chicago.. Even in the Trade Towers of New York before they were gone.The statue of Liberty .. edge of mountain cliffs and even went hand gliding off the edge of a mountain.. It was great. I drove fast around curves at high speed and went to towers where I could never go before..

Over time the fear came back but I know exactly how you feel.. Here in Colorado we have some mountains that are over 14000 ft.. I have inched to the tops of their summits and looked around and felt uncomfortable.. I have also gone to some of these little mining towns about 12000 ft where there are no guard rails and gravel roads..Its gets a little scary knowing that if you slip there is nothing from stopping you go over the side.. My fears are back but not near as bad as they were.. but still I feel for you and understand. I hope you can overcome them .Its miserable being the one that is always afraid.. It takes a step at the time.. So just hang in there and you will be better one day .. Michael

Downsinthenorth
02-12-09, 11:09
Thanks for responding, BabyRachel, Bluebelle and looking4answers.

I think it was a particularly hideous experience because of the combination of the height, being trapped in a situation and making a fool of yourself in public. These are all things I have problems with.

You do have to keep tackling your fears or they come creeping back. This wasn't so long ago, but I've let things slide so that I now have problems going up past the fifth rung of our step-ladder. I definitely couldn't tackle those mountains in Colorado. :scared10: