PDA

View Full Version : Worried About Blood Pressure And Can't Get It Off My Mind.

looking4answers
30-11-09, 21:57
Today I woke feeling a little nervous. I must have blood pressure on my mind every since the doctor scared me in the office stating I did have high pressure.. and she put me on a higher med..

The higher med made me feel bad so I called and asked her if my wife could monitor it at home.. They gave me a prescription for my regular med and made me promise to call in the reading every week. The average reading for almost everyday was 140/90 or less.. even as less as 133/83 . We have always took the readings right after I sat down and I have been a little nervous.We quit taking them for about three or four days and I got up this morning and asked my wife to take my bp. It was 142/92 but I just got up and sat down when she took the readiing..

For some reason I can't get my doctors words out of my mind and im concerned I have a lot higher blood pressure when im exercising and so on. My wife says that your resting is the one that is important..and its averaged
at 140/90 or below consistently ..

Today im so worried about it that I might actually be causing it to go up.
For some reason I have this fear that I might have higher bp at times and I might have a stroke or heart attack. I have called the doctor with the readings and awaiting for them to call me back to advise me on a higher dose of med or just wait and see.. Im nervous and scared and can't seem to get my mind on anything else..

Anyone else ever worry about their blood pressure? Michael

margaret jones
30-11-09, 22:26
Hi Michael Sorry you are worried over your BP my GP told me that it changes every 10 mins so how do we get a true reading ??? I wore a 24 hr monitor because my BP was High The result was that it was fine other than a little low early morn so no meds for me yet , but i try to avoid checking mine slly maybe ??? but it stops me worrying .

Take CARE margaret

gypsygirl30
30-11-09, 22:35
I was worried about my blood pressure for a while. I had one higher than normal reading, and then I became so nervous about it that for a while everytime I took it it was around 145/85 (normal for me is 120/72). Then I too started worrying about how high it must be while I'm walking around or exercising. What has worked best for me recently is sitting for at least 5 minutes before taking it, taking deep breaths, and reading or focusing on something else while taking the measurement. It helped me not to be so nervous and because of that my bp lately has been closer to what it was before. You said that you had just sat down and might have been nervous, so maybe trying those things will help. I would say try not to worry about it so much, but I know how hard that is to do.

looking4answers
30-11-09, 22:49
No Not silly.. I don't want to take mine either.. I was given strict orders to have it taken three times a week until further notice.. My wife took it for about 8 days then as the holiday was here .. I told her no more for now.Although mine has been just borderline..I worry all the time.. I can't seem to shake it. This morning I woke worried and ask my wife to take it after about five days of not taking it. I wish I could get it off my mind. I hate the stupid bp machine .. and hate having it taken but since the doctor scared me .. I

So funny because at times in my life im pretty sure it was high..I was eating lots of sugar and overweight and smoking too much and I swear they say you can't feel it but at times I really thought I could.. I don't now.. I just feel bad most of the time.. It worries me and I wonder about it..

I can remember the days of carefree not worrying about and long for those, but my wife says she knew and knows people theirs is way higher and they just go on taking their meds and then just live life and not worry. So guess thats the only choice I have just try to get myself out of worrying. Thanks so much for caring enough to say nice things to me.. Im not sure I could handle the 24 hour one.I would be way to nervous. They didn't suggest it at the doctors but im sure they would have if I ask..

Doesn't it make sense if they were that worried they would have ask me to wear one already ? Michael

looking4answers
30-11-09, 23:09
I think we don't give it long enough. I will sit down and my wife will make a reading right after me sitting down..Sometimes I sit there for a minute or so and the next will be lower and the next lower..I was wondering if I actually sit still and thought about something else it might get even lower closer to normal.. I hope im correct when I think that is what is happening. I hate to worry about it. I just hate it .. I hope that I can kick the bp thoughts like I pretty much did with counting my pulse. Don't get me wrong im not strapping on a bp monitor every minute.. We have been pretty good about only taking at the doctor asked but last night I start worrying about it as I was feeling sweaty but it was cold in our house..

My wife felt this way to but it gives me the creeps.. We found if you turn the heat up its not as bad but warm.. Its funny .Here in high altitude your body acts as a commode when the weather changes..Ever notice how a commode sweats or gets condensation on the tank when the weather is changing? I think here your body acts as a barometer .. Its weird but true..We notice the cold but sweaty feeling right before and during a weather change..Never had that before we came here but then again In New Orleans I would get a sinus headache before a storm lol. Thanks so much for your comments.. Michael

I was worried about my blood pressure for a while. I had one higher than normal reading, and then I became so nervous about it that for a while everytime I took it it was around 145/85 (normal for me is 120/72). Then I too started worrying about how high it must be while I'm walking around or exercising. What has worked best for me recently is sitting for at least 5 minutes before taking it, taking deep breaths, and reading or focusing on something else while taking the measurement. It helped me not to be so nervous and because of that my bp lately has been closer to what it was before. You said that you had just sat down and might have been nervous, so maybe trying those things will help. I would say try not to worry about it so much, but I know how hard that is to do.

looking4answers
30-11-09, 23:11
PS.. I truly believe with all my heart that my normal is probably about 130/83 . if I was to really relax and sit I believe it would be this at the very least.. Michael

looking4answers
01-12-09, 01:53
The doctor called back and told me to try to take double the meds I normally do.. The med she prescibed at first in her office was three goods as much as I was taking so this seems about right.. According to the readings she is going to try me on 5 mgs instead of 2.5 and see if that keeps it down further..Wish me luck. Michael

Alisonj
01-12-09, 03:49
I dont think I will ever not worry about mine, and my reading this morning was 99/65. But if my bottom number goes into the 70's at all, I start to worry and panic. Which I know is insane but I have a very high expectation of where I want my BP to be. The postpartum blood pressure issues I had caused a PTSD and it has forever terrified me with anything regarding my blood pressure.
Your morning BP and pulse are suppose to be the most accurate, before you get up out of bed and are sitting on your bedside. However it is also when your BP is known to be the highest as well. So the reading this morning is likely the highest it goes.
I know how icky the meds can make you feel, I remember headaches and feeling so drained. Keep a good eye on your pressures and that they dont go to low with the increase in meds. I knew it was time to come off all 4 of my meds when I was getting readings of 75/44!!!!!!
Also take some supplements, there are so many out there for blood pressure that work so well and you could get it down maybe even enough to not need the meds!!
Try not to worry, I think your BP is still in a good range for a man and with your age etc.

looking4answers
01-12-09, 04:35
Yeah Im going to give this med a chance but im going to do my part to as far as eating right and losing more weight. try to cut the smoking out .. and see what I can to make it better.. Michael

Milo
01-12-09, 06:38
You should really take your BP reading first thing in the morning, and preferably when you are lying down and not sitting up as this does distort the reading by making it higher.
I found that once i woke up I would do some deep breathing exercises to calm me and then took the reading.
Exercise will push you BP up, it's how the body works.
Stick to the meds and get some natural suppliments such as lycopene into your diet and your BP will be maintained at a normal and healthy level.
Good luck Michael.

Maj
01-12-09, 08:07
Hi, many years ago my mum was told by the doctor not to worry about her blood pressure being high, just to take the pills and get on with her life. Getting yourself stressed about it only makes it worse. I always feel that if it's diagnosed then it's getting the help it needs. It's not having high blood pressure diagnosed that is the danger. Try not to worry too much.
Myra x

Milo
01-12-09, 08:47
Hi Michael,

I have an entire breakdown of BP, how to measure it, what it means and how to control it. If you like I can post it here for you?
Let me know and hope you are feeling better?

EmmaJane
01-12-09, 09:16
Sorry your not to good today Michael. My blood pressure tends to be a bit lower, rather than higher

looking4answers
01-12-09, 22:21
Thanks Milo Ill try that .. Michael

shaz01
01-12-09, 23:53
Hi Michael, mines goes mega high at the doctors, higher than yours, I am getting monitored and back in January, he does think its anxiety but Im thinking the next step will be medication for me....however just to let you know that I dont know if mines is like that all the time or if the sight of that bp machine makes it go insane lol..aaggghhhh :-( x

Alisonj
02-12-09, 00:12
Taken your BP laying down will give you a false low reading. When I was pregnant and had to strictly measure it they said never ever take it laying down, its not accurate. Sit up in bed and wait no less than 5 minutes and then take it. Make sure your arm is heart level.

looking4answers
02-12-09, 01:28
Thanks everyone..Ill try not to worry to much and yes if you can please post the breakdown if you can. Its nice to have people that care enough to come forth and talk about it with me..Thanks.. Michael

Alisonj
02-12-09, 04:11
Instructions
Things You'll Need:
Blood pressure machine
Chair
Pillow if needed
Step
Check your blood pressure equipment to make sure that it is working properly

Step
Relax a few minutes before taking your blood pressure, as it can fluctuate due to the state of your body. Take the time to sit down, relax and breathe slowly.

Step
Put the blood pressure cuff on your upper arm with the bottom of the cuff placed at the bend in your elbow. The cuff should cover about 3/4 of your upper arm. It is very important that you use the right size cuff.

Step
Place your arm at heart level and use pillows to prop it up if necessary.

Step
Sit still with your feet flat on the floor and your back supported and straight. Breathe calmly and deeply while your blood pressure is being taken.

Step
Measure your blood pressure and keep a log of your reading by writing it down immediately when you take it. Refer to your log to determine your normal blood pressure.

Milo
02-12-09, 07:29
Hi Michael, here it is.....

What is Blood Pressure?

Blood pressure is the force of blood against the walls of arteries.
Blood pressure is recorded as two numbers—the systolic pressure (as the heart beats) over the diastolic pressure (as the heart relaxes between beats).
The measurement is written one above or before the other, with the systolic number on top and the diastolic number on the bottom.
For example, a blood pressure measurement of 120/80 mmHg (millimetres of mercury) is expressed verbally as "120 over 80."

Now, whilst 120/80 is considered normal, medical professionals will always look to maintain it around 130/90 or lower. Remembering that this
level is the level at which we are at REST, not any other level during normal daily activities.

Testing:

The following is a guideline for taking your BP readings. Remember, the important thing is that your arm, and where you attach the BP
Monitor MUST be at the same level as your heart, and it is for this reason that I personally prefer to lay down when taking
my reading.

- Don't drink coffee (or caffeinated drinks) or smoke cigarettes 30 minutes before having your blood pressure measured.
- Before the test, sit for five to ten minutes with your back supported and your feet flat on the ground - if you are not laying down.
- Rest your arm on a table at the level of your heart, or next to you if you are laying down.
- Wear short loose sleeves so your arm is exposed.
- Go to the bathroom prior to the reading. A full bladder can change your blood pressure reading.
- Get two readings, taken at least two to five minutes apart, and average the results.

Prevention:

You can take steps to prevent high blood pressure by adopting a healthy lifestyle.
These steps include maintaining a healthy weight; being physically active; following a healthy eating plan,
that emphasizes fruits, vegetables, and low fat dairy foods; choosing and preparing foods with less salt and sodium;
and, if you drink alcoholic beverages, drinking in moderation.

Remember:

- Follow a Healthy Eating Pattern
- Reduce Salt and Sodium in Your Diet
- Maintaining a Healthy Weight
- Being Physically Active - walk for 30 minutes 3 to 5 times a week
- Limit Alcohol Intake - no more than 1 or 2 drinks a day.
- Quit Smoking

Suppliments to help lower Blood Pressure:

I have done a lot of research and self experimentation with natural supplements that help lower BP and keep it at normal levels.
I know this is a little scientific, but they are all natural products and they do work in lowering and maintain BP

FOLIC ACID
Folic acid is one of the B vitamins.
800 micrograms along with B6 and B12 vitamins reduce the levels of the amino acid homocystine, and recent finding show that folic acid protects against hypertension.

VITAMIN C
Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant that would enhance the synthesis or prevent the break down of NO (nitric oxide) and lower Blood Pressure.

CALCIUM AND MAGNESIUM
An electrolyte balance of sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium will do a lot to aid blood pressure control.
A supplement of 300mg of calcium and 150mg of magnesium has shown positive results aiding blood pressure control.

OMEGA 3
Fish fats, the Omega 3 fatty acids EPA and DHA have the potential for lowering blood pressure through modulating calcium ions inside cells of the body.

L-ARGININE
NO (nitric oxide) has the vital abilities to help arterial dilation, prevent inflammation, limit the formation of blood clots, and promote general arterial health.
L-Arginine increases the production of NO (nitric oxide). L-Arginine is the raw material from which NO (nitric oxide) is made in the endothelium (lining of flat cells inside the artery). One must have an adequate amount of eNOS (endothelial nitric oxide synthase), the enzyme that acts as a catalyst in the production process and enough of the amino acid arginine.
L-Arginine improves blood flow by improving the endothelial function.

PYCONOGENOL
Obtained from the French Maritime Pine Tree, Pycnogenol acts as an extremely potent antioxidant and stimulates the enzyme eNOS (endothelial nitric oxide synthase)
to produce nitric oxide (NO) in the arterial linings from L-Arginine.

GRAPESEED EXTRACT
Grapeseed Extract contains one of the highest concentrations of polyphenols (a special class of plant substances), which help in the health of the endothelium an the
production on NO (nitric oxide) thereby lowering Blood Pressure.

LYCOPENE
Tomato extract, which is rich in the antioxidant polyphenols lycopene, phytobene and phytofluene, has been shown to reduce blood pressure.

I would just recommend anyone to first check these against current medications being used with your doctor or pharmacist first.

Alisonj
02-12-09, 23:46
Great info on the supplements!!!! The only one I dont take is the Lycopene because I eat alot of tomatoes and watermelon