PDA

View Full Version : is there only me that didnt know what squirrels sounded like?

lula
01-12-09, 01:28
i was walking past a park earlier when i heard a wierd growling noise, and saw a squirrel halfway up a tree staring at the ground swishing its tail like mad, i thought there must be a cat at the bottom or something so i looked over the wall to see the bottom of the tree and there was nothing there then i realised it was the squirrel making it as it was still doing it. it baffled me for a while coz id never heard a squirrel before and was suprised such a little thing made such a crazy noise :blush: has any1 else ever heard one?

maddie
01-12-09, 01:33
We've had a female squirrel in our garden for a few years. She has had young the last 2. She's very good with them when they are tiny, then really growls at them when she thinks it's time for them to go.

lula
01-12-09, 01:39
aww bless her!! thats ace shes been there a few years, i was chuffed when we had a family of hedgehogs but id love a family of squirrels :D there so cute

mandyclare
01-12-09, 08:47
I didn't know they growled. LOL!!!!

mand x

EmmaJane
01-12-09, 09:03
I didn't know they growled either. I have 4 dejus, that are ground squirrels from Chile. They squeak like Sooty, so I assumed that all squirrels squeked. Just goes to show I guess, we should never assume!! :-)

BabyRachel
01-12-09, 10:23
OMG I WANT A FAMILY OF HEDGEHOGS!!! HOW ADORABLE!!!!

I didn't know they growled. This sort of reduces the cute factor. Btw, I loved seeing this random thread amongst all our pain and anxiety.. Made me giggle.

maddie
01-12-09, 10:42
They chatter at each other in a squeeky way, then give a bark/growl if there is danger or another squirrel they don't want about. I love watching them bury peanuts in our lawn. They dig a hole, pop the nut in then do a little tapping down dance with their paws to cover the nut up. So cute :)

ladybird64
01-12-09, 12:16
I live in a highly populated area (not a million miles away from the previous poster :winks:) but we are fortunate to have a small woodland area at the back of our house. We see the usual wood pidgeons etc but also have small birds such as robins and blue and great tits and 2 types of woodpecker. We also have parakeets which look amazing but the novelty wears off fast as they make a hell of a racket first thing in the morning (before 6am:mad:).
I have gone off squirrels since moving here, they dig up all the bulbs I have lovingly planted! I also have them running along the fences and watching me while I wash up but as they have tried to get in the bloomin window on a few occasions, I now keep it pulled nearly shut.
We have got foxes too, we see the cubs in the woodland when they are young..our South London foxes don't worry too much about coming out in the daytime!
We have recently had an owl join the wildlife here, I heard him a few months ago for the first time and it really is quite an eerie noise!
Wish I could see him but it's just too dark.

lula
01-12-09, 20:28
it never occured to us that it was the squirrels isnt it funny how we thought they didnt make a noise lol
take care
tetley
xx

i know, like emma jane i assumed they would just squeak or something lol.

haha, bless them tap dancing their munch away them forgetting about them.

i havent seen a fox for a while but i nearly fell over one the last time i saw one, it shot out infront of me from a gate, n it barked at me like it was my fault!! then ran away...

ladybird, sounds ace where u live! but yeah ive heard squirrels can be a pest lol, bit like our kitten, there soooo cute but soooo annoying and distructive lol