PDA

View Full Version : Free Art Workshops in Surrey

clickaway
02-12-09, 01:21
Hi - just want to bring this to your attention. "Ways of Seeing" is a project funded by the National Lottery and is aimed specifically at people with mental health issues - art is a therapy and this project is designed to raise our self-esteem and self-worth as well as giving more structure and social intercation to our day.

So far in the project we have made visits to some arts venues, dabbled in a bit of practical, and spent quite a bit of time discussing artworks that are from a private collection.

But in the new year, the real fun begins as we spend serious time creating a piece of art ourselves which will be inspired by a piece from this collection, which includes work by David Hockney, Henry Moore and Barbara Hepworth. Towards the end of 2010, an exhibition will be mounted in Woking showing all these works, by the established and novice artists. This is your chance to have more than 15 minutes of fame!

The project welcomes new members and most of those that are part of it already are pure novices and so you shouldn't be thinking this is for people who 'know' about art. You just need to go for it!

After Christmas, there will be workshops in Woking covering painting, drawing, sculpting with clay and print-making. This will be free thanks to the Lottery and even your travel expenses can be paid.

Interested? Call Rib Davies at The Lightbox in Woking on 01483 7437817 or e-mail him at rib.davis@thelightbox.org.uk

maddie
02-12-09, 02:15
They are starting Art Therapy in N.Wales too. I'm not sure I can see how it helps really, but will learn more as my OH is to be involved with setting it up.

clickaway
03-12-09, 19:04
I started art therapy in February and have found it really helpful as have others in my group.

You learn something new, but its not taxing like learning an academic skill. You can express yourself freestyle and it doesn't matter how good or bad the result is. Co-incidentally, I walked into our local gallery today and they had a display of art by a professional which was both weird, and in my opinion total crap!

Give it a go!