PDA

View Full Version : cant breathe

gizzmo
02-12-09, 00:34
hi, it prob sounds really strange, but for the last couple of weeks a feeling like i cant breathe comes over me. its just like i open my lungs enough to let air in, but i know im breathing fine. when it happens i have managed to control the feelings as panicing will only make things worse, its ok if i keep busy. would be good to hear if anyone else feels this way?

maddie
02-12-09, 01:32
Hello. Most anxiety sufferers have problems with breathing when they are anxious - it doesn't sound strange at all. Well done for distracting yourself and keeping busy until the feeling subsides.

MissJennayee
02-12-09, 07:30
I had trouble breathing for around 2 years when my anxiety started, my ex boyfriend would get so annoyed with my loud gasping sniffing really loud sounds to try to get a big enough breath. It was awful. I felt like no matter how deep I breathed it just wasn't enough and I would yawn constantly just trying to get a deep breath. It's very normal, just hyperventilation. You need to relax and try breathing in from your nose out of your mouth.

Dazo
02-12-09, 10:10
I have alot of breathing issues, they are really horrible.

Masa
02-12-09, 11:44
Hi, I constantly feel like I need to take a deep breath. I think it's a form of hyperventilation and a lot of anxiety sufferers get it at some point. What helps me is breathing through my nose rather than my mouth..

gizzmo
02-12-09, 13:03
thanks for the replys, it helps to know its not just me that has these feelings.

NoPoet
03-12-09, 23:37
Yeah I think it's a form of hyperventilation. You feel like you aren't taking enough air in, when in fact you are, it's just something to do with carbon dioxide and is caused by panic or anxiety.

springblossom
14-12-09, 15:25
I could write a book about this. Unfortunately I can only sympathise, as I haven't found the cure.

Maj
14-12-09, 15:37
I had this symptom again, after many years, a few months ago. I got a very short course of diazepam from my gp and this really helped. It helped me to relax and realise why I had got myself worked up into such an anxious state at that time. I haven't had it since. Controlled breathing is a more permanent way of help this. I'm not saying you need to take a medication but it calmed me down enough to help me realise just why I was feeling like this. You'll always get enough breath and it is a very uncomfortable feeling, but it will pass.
Myra:hugs:

EmmaJane
14-12-09, 15:41
do you find yourself coughing aswell and trying to shift phlem, i get the breathing probs, suffering with it at the mo. Since I had a chest infection, i'm convinced I have lung cancer