PDA

View Full Version : Blood pressure monitoring

ladybird64
02-12-09, 09:54
H all.

Just a question to satisfy my curiousity really..

I have seen lots of posts re home monitoring for high blood pressure and I was wondering if it helps to reassure you or does it make you feel worse?
This is a question for both those who have been medically advised to monitor at home and those who haven't.

Thanks

steve2009
02-12-09, 10:44
Hi Ladybird
We have a free machine in the local gp practise waiting room.
I use it to face my social phobia. I go in sit down, take a few breaths and
bingo. BP reading is on the high side, but what would I expect.
All I've managed to prove is that my pulse and BP are a little higher when I'm
anxious and ok if not anxious.
When was the last time you had BP checked?
Was it ok?

gypsywomen
02-12-09, 10:48
they do reassure you but also ,can worry you i have one but stopped using it , wasnt good for me

rebeccad
02-12-09, 10:55
well i suppose they they could be good for some but for me it started off my ocd completley went mad on doing my bloody pressure and i mean i would sit for an hour at a time doing it to the point where my arm would hurt. My hubbie took away my machine and it was so hard i had to really almost withdraw from it. I couldnt even look at the blood pressure sign in the surgery. So be very careful.

pollyanna
02-12-09, 11:03
i have one too, in the begining it wasnt too bad, but became vey obsessed and it made my anxiety go through the roof. as someone else has said, they can be good, and a useful tool, but i think you have to be careful, and be quite disiplined in how / and how often you use it.

P x

Alisonj
02-12-09, 23:44
I go in spurts. I can check it only at night most of the time but if I am anxious it stays on my arm constant. So it is reassuring but on bad days. It can be tough.

looking4answers
02-12-09, 23:52
Monitoring makes me soooooooooooo nervous .. but I have no other choice right now. The doctor gave me strict orders to for now because of swapping meds and stuff but I can tell you for sure that you are surely going to be having anxiety monitoring it if you are an anxious person.. just to let you know ..YES

shaz01
02-12-09, 23:57
Hi, mines goes mega high at the docs and is being monitored the now, I have never been asked yet to do home monitoring however I feel that is coming lol........I think it would make me a nervous wreck, I only get it checked at the docs x

agent orange
03-12-09, 09:20
I had one and I was addicted to checking, so no it was not good for me lol.