PDA

View Full Version : what does this mean

snippy
02-12-09, 19:59
I have many traits of OCD Anxiety paraniod behaviour food compulsons and post traumatic stress dissorder,,,,,

Does anyone feel that past events, shocking, like seeing a family memeber die, calling ambulance and they arrive late,,,bring on these symptoms??? and you were a child at the time and revived them yourself.

Does anyone know what a psycoanalytic psychotherapist mean??? thats who i am on the waiting list for????

emily51964
02-12-09, 21:20
that will be someone who analyses your thoughts and will hopefully help u and explore why u hav these thoughts...and conclude eventually with helping. im not sure about the rest. good luck xx

Bill
03-12-09, 17:47
Emily, you're right....

Psychoanalyst is someone who analyses our thought processes.
Psychotherapist is someone who provides therapy to deal with upsetting or incorrect thought processes.

Combine the two and you get someone who analyses to make a diagnosis then follows it with what they feel is the correct treatment.

As for..........Does anyone feel that past events, shocking, like seeing a family memeber die, calling ambulance and they arrive late,,,bring on these symptoms??? and you were a child at the time and revived them yourself.

If we experience bad events in our past and they're left undealt with because we keep the feelings bottled and so are never able to come to terms with them, they can create anxiety as we grow older because of the "emotional stress" that results. This is where the therapist comes in- to determine what these traumatic events were and help us come to terms with them so we can move on with our lives.

And yes, I've known people who have been "cured" by this treatment.:hugs:

Typer
17-12-09, 13:29
Does anyone feel that past events, shocking, like seeing a family memeber die, calling ambulance and they arrive late,,,bring on these symptoms??? and you were a child at the time and revived them yourself.

I sincerely believe that left undealt with, they can cause a host of issues. This are particularly sad and tragic story. I hope that you get some sort of talking therapy with a good and sincere therapist who can help you unfold, slowly and hopefully heal from the trauma of what happened to you