PDA

View Full Version : CITALAPRAM. TERRIBLE ANXIETY!!

Heebyjeebies
17-11-05, 10:03
I've been on 10mg for 6 days now and yesterday the anxiety really kicked in. It's constant and don't even get much relief after 2mg Valium. I've read that it begins working after a few weeks but does that mean I'll feel like THIS for all that time? Really afraid and even having thoughts that I should be in hospital. I know this is probably a panic reaction.
I'm getting a burning feeling in my chest that spreads pulses of anxiety through my body constantly. When will it stop?
How much Valium is safe to take?

Heeby.

elizabetty
17-11-05, 12:11
Hi Heeby
I'm same as you,this is day 11 for me on same meds as you.I was on then before and worked up from 10 to 20mg.Doctor gave me 20mg this time and i immediately started on 20 and felt awful on second day,third day i started to half the tabs and still had very bad anxiety.I started to feel better on about eighth day,feel much better now.
Hope it starts to work for you soon.

Betty

vernon
17-11-05, 12:48
Hi sorry to hear how you both feel but these symtoms are common for usualy a few days but not usualy weeks. I am on cipralex, not the same medication but same type of thing and I did have unpleasant high anxiety for a few days but stick with it and you usualy start to feel much better. Take care. Vernon

Heebyjeebies
17-11-05, 18:31
Hi. Thanks for your replies. I'm s'posed to go up to 20mgs tomorrow and I'm not sure this is a very good idea. Might stay on 10 for another week. Can I ask you both if you were originally prescribed these meds for anxiety or depression?? I am hoping they help with my cronic anxiety. I've recently felt a bit of depression too as the anxiety is REALLY getting me down . Anyway, thanks again for replying. I may call on you again.
Heeby x

trac67
17-11-05, 18:48
Hi,

I felt exactly the same way that you are feeling now, when I began to take citalopram, it wasnt everyday, just a day here and there.

They do say that it does increase the anxiety before it calms it down, and I found that very true, but hey once it did kick in, the few weeks of feeling a bit more anxious was so worth it, as it kicked my panic attacks into touch and I felt 100 times better.

Hope this goes the same way for you too.

If you need a chat feel free to pm me anytime.

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

elizabetty
17-11-05, 22:44
I was prescribed citalopram for anxiety,thought i was going mad.
You will start to feel better soon,let me know when you do.
Take Care

Betty x

vernon
18-11-05, 10:47
Hi heeby. Its quite normal for a doctor to put you on a medication for a week then up the dose, this isnt becouse the med isnt working its to see if the meds have any bad effect on you before prescribing the correct dose. Lots of doctors put people on a lower dose than what is needed for a short time to see if there is any bad effects. take care. Vernon

Laura-Jane
18-11-05, 16:03
I've just completed my fifth week of 20mg of citalopram. I suffered with side effects for just over a week when I started them, these included:

feeling spaced out for the first three days
tiredness
headache and sickness on day one
dizziness and sickness on day two
urinating excessively (only lasted a day! thankfully!)

The effects were worse on the first day, gradually improving as time went on. Thankfully my anxiety never increased and I was able to stop taking my diazepam after being on the citalopram for two days.

Just keep thinking positive, which I know is easier said than done when you are not feeling your best. Things will improve it will just take time :)

Laura xxx

ANXIETY26
18-11-05, 16:09
So glad I've come across this post. I was Just going to write the following:

Hi all,

Is anyone else taking/taken Citalopram feel they were losing it the first few weeks of starting taking it. Im into my fourth week now and am on 20mg. I just feel as If im going to go go mad at the click of a finger. I've had to pop a few Vallium now and again. GP assures me it's just anxiety. Think I'll ram some down his throat and see how he feels. I certainly was'nt this bad before taking them. ****** Meds!!

penedawn
21-03-16, 23:14
My doctor said to take as many Xanax as I needed to get past the bad bit. I didn't have the same side effects as you but had to stop after 6 days. Falling off steps, bouncing off walls. Not me at all. Took 2 weeks to feel normal. All these things are addictive but doctors panicked in the 1960's so wont give people Xanax and Valium etc., which either do or don't work and side effects are known. If you can find another way, say CBT or relaxation or just taking xamax/Valium (benxo) when you panic and change your lifestyle that will work better or your doctor will go for years trying one thing and another. Eventually you wont know which is down or up. Put some money aside and go to someone who deals with tablets, doctors are just doctors. Their information is limited.:lac:

Catherine S
22-03-16, 00:40
This thread was started in 2005.