PDA

View Full Version : MS Fears

GobBluth
03-12-09, 10:17
Hello fellow health anxiety suffers.

I want to run this by the forum. I realise there are other threads on this matter but I would quite like to get an opinion on the series of events that has afflicted my state of mind of late.
It started about 3 months ago when at my desk at work I got a twitch in my eye which quickly moved all over my body, with the addition of a stingingly, itching sensation. This went on for a few weeks before I done the Google. The Google prompted me to visit the doctors who sent me away and told me to come back if it persists. Which it did and then I started to get pain down my left side, shooting pains, aching, weak feeling and tingling/numb feeling pinky. This coincided with feeling off-balance, almost spaced out. This has continued since, though my left side feels worse. My left arm trembles at times when I am holding things and I can’t play guitar for long before pain/aching. My shoulder and neck are tight and sore, especially the shoulder. My left leg feels weak and I am constantly checking how I am walking. I am also peeing a lot and have a bit of a funny stomach, i.e.: wind which my girlfriend has to contend with. I feel exhausted and my limbs feel tired after the minimum exercise. I returned to the doctor and got bloods which where all clear. The doctor done the usual tests with strength and reactions which were normal. She also referred me to a Neurologist and I am currently waiting for an appointment.
I think I have covered everything and brought you up to date.
Does this sound similar to anyone else’s experience and was the outcome good news? Waiting for the neurologist is making me anxious and the symptoms seem to be getting worse which has got me fearing the worst.

Cheers.

GobBluth
03-12-09, 18:59
Anyone got any reassurance?

KK77
03-12-09, 19:22
I went through all of this and have a lot of posts here on psychosomatic symptoms. These kinds of neurological diseases usually manifest themselves in pretty major ways: complete muscle weakness in a certain area, numbness, difficulty/inability with bodily functions and certain mental function symptoms. Anxiety however seems to cause many symptoms that mimic these but on a lesser scale - nonetheless, they can be overwhelming and perpetuate anxiety ... so you can see the circle here.

Saying don't worry won't help you but these serious conditions ARE usually rare compared to somatisation through anxiety. Hopefully the neuro will be able to put your mind at rest. But my advice would be, don't Google and don't let your life grind to a halt because of this. It's probably nothing serious.

GobBluth
03-12-09, 20:10
Thanks for the reply. I haven't had a major symptom as you describe and part of me knows the chances are its anxiety. It's just as the symptoms stack up the anxiety can get the better of me. Thanks for taking the time.

Jemba
05-12-09, 16:57
GobBluth,

I have had exactly your symptoms, I have been to the neuro, had a brain MRI and all clear. If it helps usually with MS symptoms last up to a month before subsiding - this main type of MS (remitting) gives you a flare and then symptoms go away. The fact yours have stayed around and got worse as your stress and worry has built is a good indication. Best of luck, please let us know how you get on.