PDA

View Full Version : desperate to get better.

justine
03-12-09, 14:03
HI, my name is justine, i was 40 last month and have become very unwell with anxiety, panic and aggoraphobiafor the second time in my life.
Last time it happenend was 15 years ago after the birth of my 2nd child (i now have 4) i did make a full recovery then and have had 11 years symptom free (well maybe not entirely istill couldn't fly or tolerate heights)
so i have had 11 great years of getting out in the world, gettig married having 2 more kids, then this year things tarted to go a bit wrong. i have a longstanding health problem with my lungs and had started to feel stressed by this and other situations - hubby lost job, started a degree at uni -had an operation. Then suddenly had a panic attack and couldnt tolerate being in lectures. went to doctor who signed me off sick for 2 weeks and prescribed citalopram. i took them because i wanted to get sorted quickly and get on with my life. that was a big mistake! i had an extremely severe reaction to them and after only 2 doses had complete mental breakdown. have not been the same since, have become aggoraphobic, constant anxiety especially when at home on my own.( which is a lot) also discoverd that my adrenals are shot after using steroid medication. sorry so long. also a bit maudlin but its honestly like living in a nightmare. all i want now is to get better. thanks for listening.

nomorepanic
03-12-09, 14:12
Hi justine

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

feels like prison
03-12-09, 14:41
Hi Justine,

I just wanted to say hi and welcome to nmp. I to was put on citalopram and it was an awful drug to say the least.

I hope things get better for you and your family.

Take Care

Randy

RosieXXX
03-12-09, 15:09
Hello Justine,

Welcome to nmp.

I am sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time. You will find plenty of people here who will be able to relate to the way you are feeling and offer good support.

charlotte83
03-12-09, 16:56
Hi Justine,

Welcome to NMP, sory you are having a rough time at the moment. You got better last time and you will this time, just keep going :). I hope you find the comfort and support you need on the site, take care.

Maj
03-12-09, 17:02
Hello Justine,

What a rotten time you've and no wonder you've felt so low. Yes, obviously that drug wasn't for you and you've paid the price. You can and will recover again. Lots of people on this site have felt or are feeling like you so you are not alone. I took 3 prozac tablets a couple of months ago and they made me feel awful - I actually felt worse, so I know exactly how you feel. This doesn't have to be the case because many years ago I took a different med and had no side effects and after two weeks felt great. Don't despair:hugs:Has your doctor suggested another drug or has this put you off altogether? It'll seem like you are in a black hole at the moment but you will get through this given time. You'll get lots of support on here and that alone will comfort you.
Take care
Myra x

flix08
03-12-09, 17:04
hi Justine welcome. Citalopram is a horrible drug, i honestly don't know why they prescribe it! Have you thought of perhaps asking your GP to change to a different type?

Things will get better, it unfortunately just takes time but we're always here xxx

justine
03-12-09, 17:18
thanks everyone for your kind posts. i am definately not considering ever taking another anti depressant drug. i have taken them in the pas with minimal problems, but right now i don't think they atre right for me. i am fighting with the local mental health team for support (still haven't recieved any yet) and although i live in a remote place and am agoraphobic they refuse to visit me at home. Ho hum, feeling a bit better this evening though and being on this site helped me loads today hen i was alone.