PDA

View Full Version : 35 years on motorways and now this - why?

NormallyNormal.
04-12-09, 02:43
I had a travelling job for years and experienced panic only once before. Because my job involved a lot of motorway travelling, I forced myself through it and it gradually diminished. Until recently, I had been free of it for about 5 years.

Since I retired, my motorway panic has come back with a vengeance.

To be accurate, it's on dual carriageways as well and does not seem to be linked to road works or long stretches without exits.

My problem is associated with driving on roads with two or more lanes - intersecting motorways are a special nightmare - particularly in commercial traffic. Driving alongside big trucks at speed makes me sweat, panic, grip the wheel and feel like I've got to get off at any cost. It's absolutely horrible. When we all slow down the feelings subside and I can manage.

I cannot understand any of this. I've never had a bump or been involved in any kind of incident on a motorway in all my years of driving. For heavens' sake, I love driving and always have done.

I cannot work out what is going on in my head. Is it my age, diet, stress? Or am I going loopy? I've tried Rescue Remedy, controlled breathing, strong mints, loud music, fresh air but although they help a bit, they don't stop these awful sensations.

Should I be forcing myself through it again or 'giving in' and avoiding the sort of roads that I know will cause trouble?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

NormallyNormal

nomorepanic
04-12-09, 02:47
Hi NormallyNormal.

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Veronica H
04-12-09, 08:45
:welcome:to NMP NN. Glad that you have found us and no you are not going loopy.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough. This will get better.

Veronica

gypsywomen
04-12-09, 10:59
its sounds like you have anxiety you know how bad motorways are maybe deep in your mind ..you are thinking about it ,, i would have a word with your Doctor ,because your retied you have more time to think x