PDA

View Full Version : Panicking, can't calm down. Help!

MOJO
04-12-09, 09:18
Having terrible few days. Help me please. Can't calm down, anxiety through roof. Trying relaxation but doesn't last for more than a minute ....:weep:. I don't know how I can get through the day. My sister away for a few days, think she's my "safe" person. Got to go out later to help mum with shopping (she's 88 and has memory problems and doesn't walk well after an accident last year) feel very responsible as sister away and all is on me. Don't even know if that's why I feel awful..maybe I just always will.
What can I do. Used to calm in evening, not even doing that at the moment...want to give up:weep::weep::weep:
Is anyone there?
Judy.xxx

mabelthemini
04-12-09, 09:22
Hi Judy, I'm not much help but just wanted to reply so someone is here for you. I get anxious if I think of things I have to do ( later today I have to go to the doctors) people say 'just don't think about it' Yeah- right!!!
Big hugs for you and hope you feel calmer soon. Xx

MOJO
04-12-09, 09:31
Thank you. Feeling so alone, it's good to know someone is there listening and replying.:hugs:

mabelthemini
04-12-09, 09:39
No problem hun-this illness really sucks :-( Are you on any meds for your anxiety?

MOJO
04-12-09, 09:46
No. Tried once but made me worse which I know often happens at first but side effects so bad couldn't cope. Like to go natural way if possible but not sure what to take. got all sorts.. rescue remedy, homeopathic rememdieis, quiet life.. havn't taken anything cos I can't even decide which one to take..i'm so useless.

mabelthemini
04-12-09, 09:52
You're not useless-you are ill. If you had a broken leg would you be calling yourself useless for not being able to walk? nope its just another bit thats broken-trouble is people can't see it (unless you wanna wrap your head in plaster which could be messy!)
I'm on Prozac (flouxetine) have been for 3 weeks now and for the last few days have felt much better-yes the side effects for the first week were not pleasant but I'm glad I stuck with it in the long run. The doctor put me on sertraline first which i only managed one day of coz it made me feel so bad. Perhaps it's worth going back to the doctor and trying a different one?
I tried rescue remedy for my driving test a few years back-not sure it had any effect though. xx

MOJO
04-12-09, 09:59
So scared of meds that I just know i won't take them. I know it's stupid but I can't help it. i don't suppose i can feel much worse than i do now but always hope for a better day tomorrow or the day after and if I'm on meds I know it will be constant for weeks...
Thank you for talking to me.
Judy.xx

mabelthemini
04-12-09, 10:04
It's my pleasure :-) Only thing i can suggest is talking to your doctor about natural remedies and see what he suggests?
Take care of yourself hun -let me know how you are doing :hugs:

REALLY WANT TO HELP
04-12-09, 10:11
Hi there Judy,

Ive tried 'Valeria' not sure if thats how you spell it, you can get it from 'Neils Yard Remedies' its a root. It has really helped me, didnt think it would as most remedies havnt even touched me, but this one really has helped. I will be thinking of you today, i feel you will be o.k. Dont feel useless because what your actually doing is actually a huge responsibilty, most what we class as 'normal' people would also feel a little worry and a weight. It really is o.k and as i say i feel today will go fine for you. Im new to this and will be logging in as much as can to try and offer support and friendship to 'us' guys :yesyes: x

MOJO
04-12-09, 10:30
Thank you so much for your support.xxxxx

Dolan1989
04-12-09, 10:40
Have you ever gone shopping before? Has your sister been away before? Have you spent time alone with your mum before?

I'm guessing that you have done these things before and coped OK. Just think about that, or all else failing think of something you have had to do that was even worse than what you have to do today. It will put things into perspective for you.

Once you start your day you'll probably start to feel yourself claming down slightly, you couldn't be at peak anxiety level all day, your body wouldn't cope with it, it will naturally start to calm itself down.

Take the remedies if you want, or evne chew some chewing gum as you walk around. It gives you something to do and mint is also a relaxer believe it or not. I also take a bottle of water with me when I have to do something I don't want to. Keep taking little sips and it really helps.

I know today isn't goingg to be easy. Just think about how easy it would be without the anxiety though. That helps put things into persepective to. If the only thing to be anxious about is your anxiety, then try and get yourself out of the mood of thinking. Don't spend all your day thinking about how anxious you are, it makes it worse. If you can, have the thought and then put it to the back of your head and concentrate on your mum.

I really hope thats some good, I do it myself and it helps take the edge of.

Let me know how it goes.

Nat xx

MOJO
04-12-09, 11:42
Thank you Nat!
That makes a lot of sense. Have been shopping already and have survived!! Next I have a ten minute walk to appt. with psychiatric nurse at 12. Nerves still bad but managed shopping so will manage this.
I even fear sitting in house after it for rest of day worrying I will feel awful...of course I know I will if I think that but can't seem to stop myself at the moment. Maybe i am really losing the plot!
Judy.xx

mabelthemini
04-12-09, 12:33
Well done on doing the shopping!!! Be proud of yourself hun :-) I've got to leave for the docs in a bit so I'll be worrying as well, hopefully we'll both be home and more relaxed later on.