PDA

View Full Version : Straight to the point question

EmmaJane
04-12-09, 10:50
Do you all get memory loss, forget what you were going to do or say?

gypsywomen
04-12-09, 11:00
i dont but there maybe some who do on here

ZoJo
04-12-09, 11:13
I do sometimes. Decided its because I have a million different thoughts running through my head!!

EmmaJane
04-12-09, 11:17
reason im asking os because when I saw a CPN the other day, to get referred to a phsychologist, she asked if I remember things, for example, do I remember where I'm up to in the book im reading. Now Im wondering why she asked me that and Im forgetting things more :-)

sarah jayne
04-12-09, 11:18
Im very forgetfull and always have been

JaneC
04-12-09, 11:22
EmmaJane,

Forgetfulness and difficulty concentrating can be a symptom of depression. Could that be why she asked?

I've a terrible memory these days - depression? meds? CFS? Just being 48? Take your pick lol.
:hugs:

EmmaJane
04-12-09, 11:32
Yes I guess, I was thinking maybe she tohught I had Dementia!!

june
04-12-09, 13:43
:hugs:Just think - how many people say ""Oh I know your face but can't remember your name"".
If you do forget where you are in a book - you skim thro the pages and then ""oh yes - thats where i was"" and carry on reading.
PLEASE do not let that remark put a seed of doubt in your mind.
I had an incident that soooo freaked me - I was in a class, switched on my computer and went to type in the password, I could not think what it was, THEN I really could not remember how the keys worked - I turned to the person next to me and said 'I can't remember my password - she looked totally blank. She could not understand what i was saying.(( Luckily the Tutor had seen this happen before)
ALL this was down to stress........ I was on meds for seven days, my memory was actually OK I was just exhausted.
:yesyes:Best wishes
June

KK77
04-12-09, 17:28
I've always had a very good memory. At uni I would memorise vast amounts of information that wasn't even necessary. Then I became depressed and started taking an antidepressant, and I noticed that I couldn't retain as much as before. It wasn't noticeable to others and didn't really affect my work but it still annoyed me.

I think depression and anxiety affects short-term memory in a lot of people - and I've no doubt in my mind that many psychiatric drugs also dull the mind.

bottleblond
04-12-09, 17:36
Emma i do. My memory is shocking at times.
I have tried to put the kettle in the firdge before after making a brew and today i put a spoonfull of coffee in my sons Irn bru rather than my cup. :doh:
I can walk into a room and think 'now why did i come in here again'?
I will go upstairs to do something and come back down having done something else instead.
So it's a definate yes for me lol
Lisa
xxx

EmmaJane
04-12-09, 20:37
Thanks all, that makes me feel better.

Im the same Lisa :-)

onceagain
04-12-09, 21:09
oh boy do I... it has become a standing joke, the only way I can get through it is to find it funny... its definitely the meds, well I hope so or its a huge amount of pensioner moments and I've certainly not reached the menopause just yet ....lol :roflmao:

leigh32
05-12-09, 13:49
i get some memory loss too.a few weeks ago i went to the bank as i do every week to draw money out and i forgot my pin number.i should there for ages and ages and still couldnt remember it.i knew the numbers involved but couldnt remember what order they were in.i got it wrong 3 times so they stopped my card and i had to arrange another one. apparently fish oil is good for it.i tried takin the tablets but they were massive and they put me off

pollyanna
05-12-09, 14:19
Not only do i forget things, i can start a sentence and then my mind goes blank and i forget what i was going to say or what i was talking about, i also tend to repeat myself, because of all the thoughts going round in my head, i cant always remember if i have just thought it or said it!!!

guitarpants
05-12-09, 18:59
I do it all the time, it's nothing to worry about. It's due to anxiety and/or depression. Look at it this way, if you had dementia you probably wouldn't even know. If you are able to contemplate some small memory losses, you are fine. I've seen this said in a lot of places, if you put your keys in the fridge it's fine, the only time there is a problem is if you don't know what your keys are anymore.

B-gal
06-12-09, 11:03
Hi,

I have always had a terrible terrible memory. Im only 23 but if anyone reminisces about a holiday we went on when I was in my early teens - i can usually never remember it. In mid sentence I can totally 4get what the point of my sentence was and sometimes I forget speaking to someone earlier in the day. Ive never been depressed and Im not on meds. Ive just been this way for as long as I can remember. I do secretly worry sometimes that its early dementia, but I doubt it, I just think that Im naturally a very very forgetful person.

xxx
xx
x

36star
06-12-09, 14:57
All of the above, more so at the moment, cos my head is so "busy".
Have actually had to get a notepad and pen next to the computer so I can remind myself of log-in details for various things. Went to the shop last night, paid for my stuff, then walked out and left the shopping on the counter!

hunny
07-12-09, 10:23
Hi
My memory is totally awful
I used to have a great memory and it drives me mad!
I often forget what I'm saying in the middle of a sentence etc , bad!

H x

nanny
07-12-09, 10:29
Like Pollyanna I start to say something and stop mid-drift and i'm blowed if i can remember what i was on about.
I find it hard to concentrate and so forgetful i leave little notes for myself!!!!!

Robbs
08-12-09, 07:23
yep me too its strange sometimes, i have a friend who i've known for about 5 years now but i dont see him that often but about 4 months ago i was talking to him and completely forgot his name for about 5 mins lol, it freaked me out to say the least .

jue67
08-12-09, 07:33
Really i wouldnt worry about that question, its normal for them to ask you, memory loss/dementia is not on their mind, forgetfulness is a normal thing to go hand in hand with anxiety or depression or panic. Honestly im sometimes having a conversation and lose the thread, and put stuff places and can never be found. I keep a diary, work appointments and home appointments for me and family and this keeps me on track for the most part.

please dont worry about this, for me its perfectly normal!! and a lot of others by the sound of it.

jools