PDA

View Full Version : Muscle cramps and Unconscious

johansaken
04-12-09, 12:55
This has happend to me 3-4 times in my life. I had G.A.D and panicanxiety since i was 5-6 (30 today). They tested to see if I was epileptic last year, found nothing. Still this has traumatised me bad and is one of the biggest fears in my anxiety. That it will happen again. On all the occasions they found nothing. And I read about it alot. And from what I understand it can occur if you are in a state of anxiety for a long long time on daily basis. Anyone else had this? I need you to reply to this one guys. Need to bury this fear.

Symptoms:

Well it was like a blurr, a moving spot that "forced" my eyes to stare left and all the muscles joined in and it ended with muscular cramps and Unconsciousness. Hospital 2 times. they did a brainscan, found nothing. All they told me back in the day was. You need to take care of yourself more then others to make sure this doesnt happen again. But it did. We need to talk about this. Cause I think that theres loads more out there afraid of this. Atleast Im hoping. i need answers.

johansaken
08-05-10, 20:32
Bump

Angelai
08-05-10, 21:13
This sounds really scary - you must get answers from your doctor. If it is due to anxiety, ask your doctor for evidence, eg. are there any books or websites he could refer you to? And what did they mean by you must take care of yourself??? Was there any actual diagnosis given?

johansaken
28-06-10, 16:00
They hav efound nothing wrong. But I found the correct term and even a diagnose (which does not exist in sweden atm). Or maybe it does.

But its called Psychogenic non-epileptic seizures (PNES)

What exactly are PNES?
PNES are attacks that may look like epileptic seizures, but are not caused by abnormal brain electrical discharges. They are a manifestation of psychological distress. Frequently, patients with PNES may look like they are experiencing generalized convulsions similar to tonic clonic seizures with falling and shaking. Less frequently, PNES may mimic absence seizures or complex partial seizures with temporary loss of attention or staring. A physician may suspect PNES when the seizures have unusual features such as type of movements, duration, triggers and frequency.

What Causes PNES?
A specific traumatic event, such as physical or sexual abuse, incest, divorce, death of a loved one, or other great loss or sudden change, can be identified in many patients with PNES. By definition, PNES are a physical manifestation of a psychological disturbance and are a type of Somatoform Disorder called a conversion disorder. Somatoform Disorders are those conditions that are suggestive of a physical disorder, but upon examination cannot be accounted for by an underlying physical condition. Conversion Disorder is a somatoform disorder that is defined as physical symptoms caused by psychologic conflict, unconsciously converted to resemble those of a neurologic disorder. Conversion disorder tends to develop during adolescence or early adulthood but may occur at any age. It appears to be somewhat more common among women.