PDA

View Full Version : Heart Monitor

ogarchamplin
28-01-04, 20:58
Has anyone ever had to wear a heart holder monitor for 24 hours? My cardilogist is hooing me up to one tommorow and i have to wear it fro a day to see if the palpatations are real or in my head. Today for no reason at 8:30 i started having heart palpations and i got scared. I understand panic attacks when something is going on but why when i am just reading the newspaper? and the palpatations have been lasting all day. Dosent panic attacks last two or three minutes? I even went to the gym and got on the treadmill for 45 minutes to convince myself that it wasnt a heart attack. I dont know what to do

lpisano
28-01-04, 21:12
Well from my experience, my panic attacks last for months,and they may be stronger at times, but they can come totally out of the blue, i will have heart and chest pain and palpations sitting at the computer!!!

hope this helped.

Meg
28-01-04, 21:31
Dear George ,

A 24 hr tape is the natural progression on from an EKG and stress test.

You probably are getting nervous about seeing the cardiologist and the worry about that -almost subconciously - is enough to bring on the palps. Palps can be a symptom of panic but also are a symptom of normal stress and/or caffiene overdose

The main body of a panic attack is about 15-30 mins , less for some people depending on their response to it and for others they can be perpetuated so they are in heightened anxiety for some hours later.

You did exactly the right thing by going to the gym and proving that your heart is fine.

If you are very acute and may have adrenal exhaustion it can seem they last for days or weeks.

Keep in touch

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
29-01-04, 01:24
Hiya George,

I do hope you do well with the 24 hr. heart monitor. Please post to let us know how you get on with it. Good luck mate.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

ogarchamplin
29-01-04, 21:42
I have mixed feelings about having this hooked up to me for 24 hours. In a way i want them to say "Hey you do have palpatations and its not in your head" but then i would have some kind of heart problem. But then to have them look at the monitor and say your heart is just fine IT IS ALL IN YOUR HEAD is just as bad. I am going to see my PCP on Monday about the PA. My old doc has had me on .5mg of Klonapin for a year and it just dosent work like it did so i am at a loss. I am having chest pains today but i also was on the treadmill for 40 minutes at 3.0mph at a 2.8 incline. So if it was my heart you think it would of blown by now. Od course back in 96 i stood up at a firehouse where we were playing bingo and yelled "i think i am having a heart attack" that was one crazy night between the paramedics there running over to being transported to the hospital to be told that there was nothing wrong with me. I did wind up three months later being admitted to a pych ward for 30 days to get it and depression under control.

Harrisburg, Pa

diana
30-01-04, 03:36
Ogarchamplin,

I know how you must be feeling right now. If it helps at all just try to prepare yourself for whatever they say about the results, and know either way, then atleast you know what the next step to take is. For example if they do find something, then you know you need to work on repairing the wrong. On the other hand if they find nothing wrong, then you know it is simply anxiety and can work on trying to take control of the feelings. I do wish you luck either way. Try not to think to much about it till you know more. Keep posting to let us know how you get on with things and how your results come back.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

ogarchamplin
12-02-04, 22:35
I got my report today on my 24 hour monitor and it it just said that my beats per minute range was 50-148 depending on sleep or excercise. There was some pre beats indicated but nothing of extreme amount. I need to make an appoinment to find out excatly what this means

Harrisburg, Pa

diana
13-02-04, 04:31
Hiya Ogarchamplin,

Good to hear from you. Hopefully you will find out that nothing serious is wrong. I wish you luck. It sounds that the report they took is`nt so bad. Let us know how you are getting along, after you see the doc about what the report means.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

Meg
13-02-04, 15:45
From what youºve said, it means youºre absolutely fine and your heart is responding appropriately !!

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...