PDA

View Full Version : need advice on prozac

laura1984
05-12-09, 23:10
Im on day 6 on 20mg prozac and i have been having so many bad side effects. but the worst have been severe panic attacks that i feel like i dont want to leave the house. i intially went on prozac for depression even though i have suffered from mild panic attacks before but before the tablets they were under control but now i feel so ill and run down with them.

Basically i need to know if i can just stop taking them? as it is only day6

Please leave me some advice

xxx

Kirsty-Jayne
05-12-09, 23:54
:welcome:

Heyy! And a very warm welcome to nmp!:hugs:
Unfortunately, you can't just stop taking anti-depressants, as you can get withdrawel symptoms.. although you're probably not far enough for you're body to notice.. Could you possibly stay with them? I know its harder said then done, but they are very good for depression, some better for others.. the only bad thing about them is they can have side effects and they are addictive, so you have to be careful. They can take up to 6 weeks to work for depression, and most of the time, you'll feel worse before you feel better.. Hope this helps =]
If you really want to come off them, speak to your doctor.. just so they know. If not, stick it out.. you never know, the panic attacks may subside and you may start to feel better :) xx:blush:

jo61
06-12-09, 10:33
Hi most antidepressants have pretty naff side effects for the first couple of weeks. The advantage of Prozac is that if you do stay on them for a while, they have a very long half life so are very easy to get off. I ended up on them by accident as a way of getting off Effexor which is very difficult. I swapped over to Prozac, got rid of Effexor and then found it pretty easy to get off Prozac if you follow me. I would give it another couple of weeks and if the side effects have not abated, then go back to the doc.
:hugs:

laura1984
06-12-09, 20:09
Thanks everyone for replying, i will take each day as it comes and just see what happens. the good news today is that i havent had any panic attacks in the house or while i went to the local shop, so at least i know stopping caffeine has helped me considerably in that way, just hope it continues during the week while doing the school run, as i am quite anxious about that as last week was an uphill struggle doing it.

maxine
06-12-09, 20:16
Hello,

I managed 8 days on Prozac and i basically couldn't deal with the side effects, I felt bloody awful!
I spoke to the doctors and explained how bad the side effects were and they checked that the medication was the right one for me.. it wasn't.

I'm now on day 12 of Seroxat and although I've had some side effects it's nothing like the ones i was having on Prozac.. have a chat with the doc and see what he says.

Welcome to the forum by the way :-)

Maxine