PDA

View Full Version : 6 days in

loucom82
06-12-09, 11:34
Hi, I am now on my 6th day of fluoxitine 20mg and really can't see how I am going to get through the next weeks until they are supposedly going to start working.

I have had panic attacks for the last 12 years since I was 15. They used to be horrendous, then the day before my wedding day the doctor prescribed me diazepam 2mg. I was so cross no one had ever suggested this before as it meant I could actually go out to social events etc.

I have had a script for 28 diazepam per year! for the last few years and they have lasted as I only took them very occasionally. Then 3 weeks ago I had a massive attack which has left me so anxious every day. It got to the point that I wouldn't be left on my own with my kids, and had an attack just picking up my daughter from nursery.

My doctor prescribed proparanol which gave me chest problems so now am on prozac. This has nearly driven me insane. I can't sleep, can't leave the house and have had one of the worst attacks for years the other day. I have no appetite which is making me worse. My husband tries to understand but he can't. He does his best but is having to do everything. I am much worse in the morning and so end up taking a diazepam to stop a full attack coming on. My doctor has told me not to do this and that there will be no more prescriptions so when they're gone they're gone. I just don't get how I am supposed to cope with this level of anxiety without them.

I just wondered how others with kids, (i have a 3 year old and a 10 month old) have coped through this stage. I'm scared my husband is just gonna wake up one morning and decide he doesn't want to cope with this any more.

Thanks

jojo81182
06-12-09, 12:07
Hi Lou,

I am in my 5th week of prozac and let me tell you, the first couple of weeks are AWFUL, I too felt the way that you do - I tried my very best to get on with things, I know it is hard but you have to try to keep things as normal as possible for the kids but on the same hand, you can only do what you can do. I have a 6 year old daughter and have been so worried how this is all going to affect her but now, 3 weeks later, it is like all that never happened. I feel SO much better, I've gone from having constant anxiety & daily panic attacks to only having one panic in the last week which was last night. I still feel a bit shaky this morning but as the day goes on I know it will fade. You HAVE to keep on with the Prozac, the first bad couple of weeks will be worth the final outcome, I promise you.

Are you having any therapy? I started seeing a psychotherapist around the same time that I started the prozac and feel that this has been a great help, I have also tried reiki - which was amazingly relaxing and eye opening and I cannot wait for my next session. I have also cut out tea, coffee and drinks with caffeine in them and have found that this also helps - I have read that caffeine and prozac don't go well together. Positive Thinking is also a good tool to use, maybe search for some info on the internet.

I hope you can take at least something from this, but honestly, keep with the prozac, it will be worth it in the end.

Take care xx

ash1807
06-12-09, 12:15
Hi

I am Prozac day 12. If you want to discuss, I am in the chat room
Feel free to join in

loucom82
07-12-09, 09:55
Thanks so much for replying to me. It's great to know I'm not the only one. I think anxiety and panic is one of the only things that you can't explain to other people, and wish they could experience it just for one day so they know how horrible it is. My sister in law made my husband cry yesterday on the phone telling him that I was severely depressed, having a breakdown etc. And that her friend had done this and another had done that, and basically just trying to pigeon hole me.

I cut out caffiene years ago so that isn't a problem for me.

I have just packed my kids off to my friend's private nursery (my daughter should be at her own nursery but I can't take her). I feel so guilty as it's such a relief when they walk out the door and I only have to bother about myself.

On the plus side I managed to bath them both last night and I had a little bit of proper food, as have been living on soups etc. I think I would feel so much better if I didn't feel so crap first thing in the morning. I have been up since 4.30am cleaning the house trying to find something to take my mind off it.

It does make me feel so much better hearing that others have had positive reactions to this drug. Am now on day 7 so hopefully will start to feel a bit better by next week. Have set myself a goal of being ok for Christmas which is a good incentive.

Thanks again

mabelthemini
07-12-09, 22:19
Hi,
You will prob be fine for Xmas, I've been on Prozac for 3 weeks now and started feeling better in the second week. Good luck and take care of yourself hun. X