PDA

View Full Version : Evening all!

SamJam
06-12-09, 19:11
Hi everyone

Have been suffering from panic attack/anxiety disorder for last two months. It decided to arrive when I was tanning myself on a boat in the med...very rude, and as you can imagine very frightening as in a foreign country. Not an experience i ever want to have again. I felt like I was getting better with Citalopram until Thursday when had another panic attack. Now having a really bad time. I have been off work since the holiday. I just want to be back to normal.:blush:

diane07
06-12-09, 19:12
Hi SamJam

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

catherine.v
06-12-09, 22:18
hi am new here aswell ! i got my 1st panic attact 3weeks ago while i was on holiday aswell i was seeing my best mate but i knew what was happening because my sister also gets panic attacts shes getting better now so there is hope !!! just try no o think about it do somthing to take ur mind off it, it works or me !

Marti36
06-12-09, 22:31
Hi Sam. :)

SamJam
07-12-09, 09:41
I mainly find the aftermath the worst, I get very emotional for days afterwards, especially in the evening. Does anyone else have this?

junie7
07-12-09, 17:10
Hi Sam,

I've been suffering panic/anxiety for three months and it came on out of the blue when I was out shopping.
I would'nt say the aftermath is worse for me exactly as when I've had a panic attack I've been absolutely terrified as it completely took over my body.
Afterwards I am completely drained and exhausted and very cold almost as if I've run a marathon and I also feel very vulnerable and scared in case it comes back again.
I am not taking any medication as my doctor wanted to see if it settled down and it has although I do get occasional bouts of anxiety which come on out of the blue but I do seem able to control things better than I did originally.
Hope your suffering will be short and sweet and things get back to normal soon. Meanwhile the advice I was given from a friend of mine who is a GP is to try and put it to the back of my mind and not focus on the anxiety so much and the symptoms and it will go.

eva12
07-12-09, 19:27
Hi Sam
I find that focusing on the panic can sometimes make it a lot worse and as junie said it does help to try and put it to the back of your mind..even though that sometimes seems difficult.
I'm with you suffering the sftermath of an attack..my last attack was on thursday night out of the blue and im still suffering with slight anxiety and what feels like mild depression now.Very emotional,crying at everything!My friend took me out to lunch today and i really didn't think i could eat (haven't been able to since thursday) but she yabbered on about all sorts bless her and eventually it took my mind off things!
Hope you start to feel better soon
A
x

SamJam
07-12-09, 20:10
Thanks for your comments everyone! I am on citalopram and because I have been feeling so awful I went back to the GP today who upped the dose a little. I was due back to work tomorrow and now signed off for a little longer. My GP is lovely but doesnt stop me feeling embarrassed and very low and at times silly. GP said that she thinks my tears are a good thing as I am responding and not keeping it in. Just wish it would all go away coz its getting chuffing boring now!

junie7
07-12-09, 21:10
Hi Sam,
Another thing I found helped the anxiety was cutting out tea and coffee and alcohol and ciggies (although I occasionly succumb to the odd ciggie and glass of wine).
Lots of long relaxing hot baths with essential oils always helps me as well.

eva12
07-12-09, 21:24
Yes...again I agree with Junie!!Hot baths are the way forward..i've taken to having a scolding hot bath with radox every night before bed!