PDA

View Full Version : Panic/aniety and all things bad

kate1
06-12-09, 23:34
Hi all

I dont really know where to start to be honest, Ive been a member of this forum, and now feel that possibly I maybe able to help. The mind is a very strong tool. You can let it control you or you control it. I faced fear of flying (14 hours to Malaysia) I faced dentists, faced travel, faced alot of difficult situations I would rather not be in. But guys, everybody that it is on here IT CAN BE DONE, I PROMISE, with a bit of fighting with the negative side, and a bit of "hang on, your not ruling me, Im going to rule you" I promise.

Whenever faced with something that you feel uncomfortable with, write down everything that is positive, get the pen and paper out and WRITE DOWN why you must do certain things. The benefits, whether its for family, friends, loved ones. It can be done. My husband went to Penang, I hate flying, anticipating a panic attack whilst locked in a metal case for 14 hours, it didnt happen. Because I had listed all the positive things why I was doing it - I wasnot going to let my anxiety or panic rule my being with my partner.

I hope that my story may help others xxx

maddie
07-12-09, 02:20
Thanks for sharing Kate and congratulations on overcoming your fears. :D

I too find that writing it all down helps to bring things into perspective and reduce their hold over me.

Veronica H
07-12-09, 09:32
:bighug1:So pleased you made it on that flight Kate and thanks for the tip.

Veronicax

nervy-paul
07-12-09, 12:23
I can concur that writing things (problems, worrys, anxieties) down is a powerful tool and can be very therapeutic, making problems that bit more managable. Well done on your flight Kate, I don't know if I could have done that myself, the thought of being on a airplane scares me silly. :scared15: :scared15:

kate1
07-12-09, 13:28
Thank you all for your kind words.

Paul, I never thought in a million years I would get on that flight. But I dont know, something just kicked in, and I became rather numb. Coming back, once again I listed all the reasons why I had to come back, it didnt work out in Malaysia workwise for my partner. So I either bit the bullet and got on that flight back, or stayed in Malaysia. Out came the notepad and pen, my family, my loved ones, or staying in Penang. Had to keep telling myself, this time tomorrow it will be over, and thinking of things such as watching favourite UK programmes, food - anything to make the reasons stand out why I was looking forward to going home.

Paul, if its flying that you are scared off, I know a fantastic site run by a pilot, who is just brilliant.

hypnogood
13-12-09, 01:04
Thanks for sharing.

But I think it is our efforts to change our feelings that often makes us feel even worse. so the key is to not resist or rebel against the symptoms or to try to get around them by devising all sorts of tricks, that is, to accept them directly as they are without shunning them.

Often, the action-taking leads to a change in feelings. For example, it is common to develop confidence after one has repeatedly done something with some success, like flying even with some panic attacks.

Clayton the Panicked
13-12-09, 01:32
I would like to write positive things as I have learned that this can indeed be a good coping tool but I am unable to write cause my panic attacks make my hands very, very shaky. Sucks.