PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping pills on prozac

loucom82
07-12-09, 09:05
I was just wondering if anyone has been prescibed anything to help them sleep during the first few weeks on prozac? I haven't been to bed for a week, instead i lie on the sofa watching DVDs all night until I hopefully drop off for a bit.

My husband understands that this is necessary for me to get any sleep at all, as I feel sick when I get into bed and think about sleeping.

My main side effect to the prozac so far has been really bad anxiety in the morning as I wake really early about 4.30am, usually with a start. My heart immediatel starts racing and I begin to panic. It's like I'm desperate for the day to begin so I can get it over with. I end up taking a diazepam to calm me down which I don't want to do.

I just wondered if I took something to help me sleep it might reduce the early morning waking and so reducing these horrible symptoms in the morning.

I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday so I might ask. I'm really cross with her as I asked her if the drug would make me feel worse before it made me better and she said definitely not it would just take some time to work. I can't believe she has no experience of other people's anxiety going sky high when they start taking this.

Downsinthenorth
07-12-09, 12:22
Prozac has the opposite effect on me when I start taking it, I can't stop sleeping, day and night! It eventually wears off as my body settles down, but sometimes it can take longer (when I have become particularly bad). Insomnia is a more common side effect, apparently, though.

I also find that my anxiety becomes worse when I first start taking prozac again, but it dies down eventually as I keep taking it. The trouble is that both anxiety and depression will take their toll on the mind and body, and I find the worse you have got, the longer it takes to recover.

Have a chat with your GP on Wednesday, and see if she can recommend something for the insomnia. Remember, it is difficult for doctors to predict how their patients will react when they start taking a drug, as the effects can vary from individual to individual. However, if you find that she really isn't helping you, you might want to change doctors.

I hope you feel better soon.

emmziebee
15-12-09, 10:26
I am taking zimovane and prozac, on day 6 of prozac, and not taking zimovane every night though.

HelenS70
15-12-09, 18:41
I take the generic of prozac called fluoxetine 20mg plus diazepam 10mg and seroquel xl 600mg which could put a horse in coma :blush: and still take a sleeping tablet called zopiclone 7.5 mg, then I get a full night sleep. Ask your doctor or psychiatrist he/she will prescribe something. But be warned they are addictive, hope this helps :)

loucom82
16-12-09, 11:41
Many thanks for your replies. Have been taking zopiclone for the last week which seems to have helped. Going to try and half the dose this week though

HelenS70
16-12-09, 14:57
I tried to come off them because I am on so many pills and most of them are supposed to make you sleepy but it just doesn't work. If you are to ween yourself off them you might be awake for a couple of nights. Good luck :flowers: