PDA

View Full Version : Heart still flips on propanolol

Rosalie
07-12-09, 17:24
I have been taking propanolol for about 2 months now, i take one in the morning and if i find out i need to speak or do somthing in class i then take a second one just before. My concern is that i still get this heavy feeling, my heart does a flip when its my turn but then it doesnt continue to beat fast like it normally would, it just leaves this anxious feeling within me and although i used to shake a huge amount i do still find myself shaking a little. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is in my head, or if i should be taking more? My tablets are 40mg , i have a presentation coming up and i really want to be able to do it so id really really appriciate somones reply. Thank you :)

gypsywomen
07-12-09, 17:41
perhaps you should get a lower dose or day relese ,, might be better ,,if your not surehave a word with gp

suzy-sue
07-12-09, 17:47
They do sound like they are working .They will only get rid of the symptoms and not the anxiety itself .Some people take 60mg but you should not up your dosage without your Drs consent .Maybe it would be wise to speak to him about it ..Luv Sue

elliejane
07-12-09, 17:49
Hi, I also take propanolol, for the same reason - I shake and get racing heart when doing presentations at uni. I take 80mg slow release once a day. When I got them, my GP told me that the propanolol takes the edge off the physical symptoms such as shaking, but the nerves can still occur because of psychological symptoms e.g. if you have always been nervous of presentations and things like that, you could have kind of taught yourself to be scared of it. So it might mean that you need cognitive behavioural therapy to unteach yourself to be scared of the presentations. Does that make sense? Hope that helps, and good luck with your presentation coming up! x x

Rosalie
07-12-09, 20:13
Thanks for replying, yeah i know what you mean I've bought a book called overcoming anxiety which uses cognitive behavioural techniques, i was worried that it wasnt working because of that heart flip feeling but as you said thats probably due to the internal anxiety prehaps i shall speak with my docter.:)