PDA

View Full Version : Scared of the Dark

JaneyJ
18-11-05, 17:06
HI
I have a phobia of the dark. I've suffered with it as long as I can remember. When I was younger I used to get really embarrased about it and it stopped me going on school trips away, as I was scared of sleeping anywhere with the lights out. As I got older I learned to cope better and would sleep with the curtains open so that I could see street lights outside, or would use glow in the dark stars etc. I also carry a torch with me everywhere, and get into a panic if I have forgotten it. I just wondered if anyone else had a phobia of the dark and how they cope with it.

As a result of my phobia of the dark, my greatest fear is going blind as I would never cope with it. As part of my anxiety I also get a lot of visual disturbances which makes me worse. Black spots in my vision which last a few seconds but aren't floaters. I also have floaters which started with the initial anxiety and also sparklies in my vision when I go outside or look at a painted wall which is one colour.

Just wondering if anyone else has these sort of problems. I'd love some reassurance.

Janey
X

vernon
21-11-05, 10:52
Hi janey.My daughter who is 21 is so scared of the dark she sleeps with her door open and light on in her room. She does have other anxiety Issues but is able to work and go out with friends. I have suffered anxiety and phobias for many years but only on and off but not realy scared of the dark. As for going blind dont worry about that I have been registered blind for well over 15 years now but recently had some surgery and now have some sight back which helps so much. 99.9% of blind people do not just see dark. they see shapes and blured usualy but do see light only blind people who are in the dark realy are those born with no sight at all. I couldnt see for years but it wasnt dark it was light. Anyway I will get my daughter to have a chat with you , if you want you seem to have the same problem. take care and try not to worry. Vernon

JaneyJ
22-11-05, 13:56
Hi Vernon,

Thank you so much for your reply. It has made me feel loads better. Its just nice to hear some words of comfort and get things into perspective. Its also good to hear that there are others who are scared of the dark. I also have to have the door open, but manage with the landing light on. This was not always the case - I also used to have to sleep with the light on in my bedroom. A big thank you for your encouraging words. Janey

jill
22-11-05, 21:54
LOL Nigel :D Don't say that I live near the airport [Ugh]

Hi Janey,

I can understand how you feel. I too have been scared of the dark for as long as I can remeber. I always sleep with the landing light on.

When I was acute Mrs anxiety picked up on my fear of the dark and my thoughs were turned into fear of going blind.
The symptoms you are getting are anxiaty she has cought onto your fear.
Since finding this site I have learnd many things, I am now PA and high anxiety free and it all down to this site and the special people on here.

I have been working hard on my fear of the dark, just small steps, like going into the bathroom and not putting the light on and shutting the door, telling myself that there is nothing to be scared of. I have been doing this for awhile now and I'm ok.

Not ready to switch that landing light off, but I WILL get there.
I can shut the door but I have to have the TV on.

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

Meg
22-11-05, 22:50
FLOATERS (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2211)
Floaters (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4556)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Piglet
23-11-05, 10:31
Hi Janey,

My middle child has always been scared of the dark, so the landing light has been on for the last 16 years, and still on now, lol!!!

That was interesting Verny about most blind people seeing shapes and colours, I didn't know that.

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

JaneyJ
26-11-05, 20:17
Just like to say a big thank you for all the replies. It's good to hear that there are others who also feel scared of the dark, and I'm not the only one.
Love
Janey xxx

LooksLikeRain
23-12-05, 06:05
I was scared of the dark when I was younger, but I think I grew out of it as I matured.
My older sister, who is mentally handicapped, didn't grow out of her fear of the dark.
We have a night light in the bedroom.. and if not in there, then we have one in the bathroom, which is right next to our bedroom.

I think you should try a few things to get over your fear of the dark.

Try small steps...
like sit in your bedroom with the lights off and close your eyes. Sit there for about a minute or so. Once you get used to it, you should try walking around the bedroom, with your eyes closed.

I hope something helps you overcome this fear :) Best of luck!

We Don't Have To Live In Fear No More

JaneyJ
28-12-05, 15:02
Hi looks like rain

Thanks for the advice. My new years resolution is to try and conquer my fear or at least try not to let it worry me as much. I am going to try and take things one step at a time like you advised.
Thanks
Janey