PDA

View Full Version : Can someone educate me on PTSD?

Mya
08-12-09, 03:09
I just recently visited my doctor and had one of the most intense therapy sessions in my life. I was feeling very good this week until tonight's visit and have come out feeling very panicky and anxious.

She spent the entire session comparing me to Vietnam War Veterans. She is now telling me that I have suffered through multiple events that have left me with PTSD. She basically said that I need to be careful that I do not harm myself or others. This made me feel terrible. I have thought about harming myself before, but never thought about harming others.

Yes, I have witnessed terrible things in my life, but everyone has. Has anyone received a diagnosis like this? I have mainly witnessed death and disease since I was a child. I guess I am just looking for some more information as to what PTSD is. I don't think this is something that can be easily diagnosed and the people that do seem to have this, have witnessed much more traumatic things like war in front of their eyes. Please let me know if I am incorrect in my assumptions as to what it is.

Thanks for any input because I just feel very confused.:weep:

onceagain
08-12-09, 04:23
Hi Mya

Post traumatic stress disorder can be brought on by any event that you felt was traumatic at the time. Be it that you witnessed violence, death or other events.

However maybe the therapist was a bit word heavy to compare you with the vietnese war, the symtoms of many men were the worse type but they did witness and were involved with serious mind boggling stuff that no man should have had to be a part of. Don't start to dwell on the self harming or harming others, the therapist I'm sure was being over cautious. Like self books we see some of us in the different senarios but the senarios may not be the same.... just take from the therapy those parts that will help you realise what it is that you NEED.. for YOU.

However, the point that the therapist was making is that you have suffered traumas of your own, it doesn't matter at what level that happened or what the events were; events from your life have hurt you and that is the starting point.

Now you have to build on the future forgive the past and start your forwards journey.

The very best wishes sent to you and loads of smiles sent to help you on that journey ...:hugs:

Mya
08-12-09, 15:59
Dear Sharon,

Thank you very much for responding to my concerns and in such a thoughtful way.:)

It was very difficult to hear some of the things she was saying to me but I must realize there will always be some sessions that will be very painful. That is part of the healing process and I know we all must endure this to get better.

I agree that she was word heavy, and I must not compare myself to war veterans that endured much more horrific events than myself. I know she was using them as a comparison and how doctors go about treating individuals with post traumatic stress. I really like the point that you made in focusing on pieces of scenarios that apply to me and what it is I need from them. I have to remember I will hear about those that have worse situations than myself and not to take on the feeling that I am like them. We all have the pain, but how we have all gotten here is very different so we cannot compare ourselves to one another.

I guess I am mesmerized by the fact that I have witnessed terrible events since childhood (like many others), and thought I had coped with them. Apparently not ever addressing some of these issues came out in the form of severe anxiety and panic attacks a few years ago. At least now I know these past events need to be addressed in order for me to rebuild for the future. I am sure this is the case for must of us suffering from these debilitating thoughts.

Thanks very much again for your warm response - it is very much appreciated. I wish you too the best of luck and many smiles to help you on your journey as well. :bighug1:

gypsywomen
08-12-09, 16:04
i have it ,, its being beaten by my husband for years caused mine ,but i would never hurt a fly your docter said wrong thing

Mya
08-12-09, 17:56
Thank you gypseywomen. I am so saddened to hear what you endured. I was terribly upset by what she said and I appreciate you making me feel better about that. I hope you know that all the things you have endured, how terrible and painful, can only make us wiser and stronger for having survived it. Thanks so much again and take care. xxoo

Typer
17-12-09, 13:23
She spent the entire session comparing me to Vietnam War Veterans. She is now telling me that I have suffered through multiple events that have left me with PTSD. She basically said that I need to be careful that I do not harm myself or others. This made me feel terrible. I have thought about harming myself before, but never thought about harming others.

Oh my...I hate to say this but it sounds like your DR has just completed a PTSD course or something. I am not saying you are not post traumatised, esp as I do not know your background but...I guess we could say that anxiety can often be referred to a post trauma state, depending on life events....however, I think maybe your DR could be being a little dramatic, or looking for complex diagnosis or answer.