PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried Group Therapy?

Mya
08-12-09, 17:37
My doctor has wanted me to think about starting group therapy in conjunction with my private sessions. It has made me ponder if this is something that may be beneficial. I told my husband that I consider this forum my group therapy and although it has helped tremendously, I have the beauty of remaining anonymous. It kinda relates to the thread about Accepting Anxiety. Maybe I need to stop hiding myself from the public and accept the fact that this is who I am. Maybe no longer hiding my fears is the acceptance and it will allow me to move forward. Has anyone engaged in something like this and even not, would this be something you feel would help you to move forward?

NoPoet
09-12-09, 00:16
I think group therapy has many advantages over private therapy cos it gets you used to interacting and sharing with other people, and it proves to you that there are others in the same or worse situation as yourself.

On the other hand a private person would probably hate it.

If you even remotely think group therapy is a good idea than I say go for it and well done :D

daza.theman
09-12-09, 01:10
my doc told me there is a 2year waiting list for therapy! so i guess im just gonna be dosed up on whatever drugs they give me, its not fare, i want to be my old sociable self but i cant, its hard , i feel nobody likes me i have nothing in comon with anybody, i rely on my wife for chat when peps come and visit, i would love to go to the shop on my own again but i can never see it happen, im lost and lonely and cant see the point of me anymore, im useless, and thats what im told every time we have an argument i dont contribut to anything, its hard nobody understands unless they jump in my head for an hour or 2, i hope things work out for you though x

Mya
09-12-09, 01:38
Thank you two for your advice. I will think it over and maybe in the future this would be beneficial

Daza - I am sorry that you are having to wait for therapy. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you find support on this site. Just remember that although you feel you have nothing in common with people, I hope you feel you can relate to us on this forum . We are all walking in the same shoes. Take care of yourself xxoo

Kerrigan
09-12-09, 12:51
Suffering from social anxiety as I do group therapy would be a later step after counselling, I go to Mind group but I can't sit for longer than 5 mins so there's alot to work on sort term before I get to that stage but for you it sounds positive because I'm sure your doctor wouldn't recommend it unless he thought you were ready.

I don't know what your issues are but a group setting has many benefits, you'll automatically feel more secure at having these people around you who understand and feel the same.

Even thought there are similairities between this forum and group therapy there are massive differences, I could sit on here and talk about accepting anxiety and what medication I am on but that is NOT going to help me make an impact on the world and break the social phobic barriers, do you want to accept your anxiety? I'm beginning to doubt that mantra thats so popular on this site, I'm not saying it doesn't work for others, if it helps them gain confidence then keep it up but anxiety is only good for us in the sense we measure it going down as we move out of our comfort zone, it's not your baby.

I wish you peace and joy X

SamP
10-12-09, 11:34
I had to wait just over a year to join the anxiety group that I am now attending. We have just had a months break after 7 sessions and I'm going back to my final meet in a weeks time. I have found the group very useful and found that it is good talking to people who actually understand what you are going through and provide support. I have struggled this month without the sessions. We have been told that if we feel we need more help then it is there for us so they are not going to leave us in the lurch so to speak. My advise is too give these groups a go I know its frustrating having to wait so long but it is worth it.

Typer
11-12-09, 14:41
Mya, I think it's worth a try and could work well and along side your private therapist.

DAZA really 2 years, that's just too bad. So sorry

Thorny
12-12-09, 18:50
Hiya,

Yes i have (& continue) to use group therapy. I have found it exceptionally helpful to me.

Everyone if different of course, so what works for one person, may not another. I certainly recommend giving it a try.

Take Care

Matt