PDA

View Full Version : Scared to Sleep

mrupanddown
19-11-05, 07:00
Am I the only one who forces themselves to stay awake because I am scared that I will die in my sleep?

vernon
19-11-05, 08:49
hi, No I used to get this a lot, I still think I am going to die in my sleep but just glad to go to sleep now though.

hunny
19-11-05, 09:41
Hiya

You are definately not the only one.I am exactly the same.Only thing is then i am so tired all the time which makes me feel worse!!

Hunny xx

wobily_lin
19-11-05, 19:18
hi

no you are not the only one. i feel exactly the same. i dont want the day to end but at the same time im too scared to sleep. i get so tired. it is so frustrating. and then you have more time to think!

sleep when you can. your not alone. x

lin x

florence
19-11-05, 23:20
Hi mrupanddown

You 're definitely NOT the only one with this. I 've been like this so many times, and still it happens occasionally ... let me reassure you , so many times I ve been afraid and convinced that I was going to die, or not wake up the following day and I ve been proven wrong every time of course, IT'S just anxiety and worries and fear, nothing else.
If you need advice , reassurance or even someone to talk to , we're here for you.
Take care.

Florence.

*He who loses money, loses much; He who loses a friend, loses much more, He who loses faith, loses all.*

Arclite
04-01-06, 07:55
I do this, but not because I'm scared I will die in my sleep.

I have Emetophobia, the fear of Vomiting. The only times I have ever been unwell was at night, and always after I have fallen asleep. I remember waking up and being unwell.

When I'm anxious I get an upset stomach. It's nothing more than IBS and Indigestion, but this is enough to kick off a panic attack. This will prevent me from falling asleep as I am afraid that if I do, I will wake up in the night and feel unwell.

When I started taking Citalopram and my anxiety increased, I once stayed up all night and watched the entire Season 1 of Scrubs on DVD, back to back.

tbailey5
04-01-06, 08:07
That is why I am on this site tonight. I am still fairly new to this thing, about 1.5 years now. I have also realized that my "weird times" hit a few days after a stressful day. My Dad died in his sleep last Thursday and think that this is causing me to fear sleeping. I have been fighting this anxiety thing all evening and have taken my limit of my natural relaxant and even a 1/4 of a xanax. Still here I am, my pulse isn't racing but my heart feels like it will come out of my chest and my head has all those strange pains running through. I feel like I will explode and don't know what to do about it. I am not convinced yet that I am not going to die since I haven't had any extensive testing done, just a couple of ER doctors telling me there is nothing wrong with me. I have been reading and also been told my a couple of friends that it seems that I am definitely experiencing an adrenalin rush but what do you do about that? Sorry to run on, this is just so frustrating for me as I have never been anything but strong and healthy. One last thing though, my uncle, mother, and sister all suffer from anxiety attacks; I guess it was just my turn. And one more thing that is certain for me; they are tremendously more frequent and severe during the week before and of my menstrual cycle.

Tanya Bailey

chucklehound
04-01-06, 08:28
Hi, I too used to try to stay awake because of the fear of dying so I know how you are feeling.
I also used to have to be in with someone incase I died too.

I hope you start to feel beter soon.

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

lin
04-01-06, 12:12
hi

No you are not the only one to feel like this when my anxiety first started i wouldn't go to sleep i was scared to just like you.

take care

linda x

sophc
22-01-06, 16:13
hello, i know just how you feel. i have a major phobia about dying or others dying, there have been many nights where im sooo scared to go to sleepe incase i never wake up and see my loved ones. this triggers major panic attacks, i am still trying to seek help with this, but, your not alone. in the end you will find you are soo worn out with your mind that go fall asleep anyway,.

i know how you feel mate

soph x

sophie.c.

Meg
22-01-06, 17:09
Fear of death (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=321)
obsession with death, why? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4764)
Fear of death (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4916)
Hello and Fear of dying (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5635)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

lin
22-01-06, 19:19
hi

i felt the same as you when i first had my anxiety i didn't sleep it made me feel even worse i wouldn't even take the meds the doc gave me.

When my anxiety and all those horrible thoughts started to dissapear my sleep came back but it took a long time, i'm not too bad now.

Try not to worry to much it will get better.

linda xx

johnsonl2
10-04-08, 21:07
Am I the only one who forces themselves to stay awake because I am scared that I will die in my sleep? Yes I too am going through the same thing. I didn't know others are going through this too. Just lost my mom on January 5th,2008. Lost my grandmother February 2007. Have been ill all week with an virus. Had to go to the er my panic was so bad. Am staying awake because I am afraid to go to sleep scared I will die in my sleep. What do you do? Need help badly.

Mystical
11-04-08, 00:40
Hi there people,

Can't say exactly why it is that individuals whom are quite healthy physically and mentally hit the skids when it comes to overcoming their own emotional fears, but I'm one with them; I too share the fear that in sleeping I might wake up 'dead' if that makes sense, which it doesn't seem to.

The fight and flight syndrome is well explained in forums under panics so I won't there but I will say that the same chemistry is at work in the mind of the individual scared to go to sleep - for whatever reason that may be.

Just take it easy... learn to control the breath and always enter the process of readying oneself for sleep in a ritualised manner; a couple of hours prior to retiring have yourself a chosen milk or malted beverage and if prescribed, an hour later your medication - whatever it may be. Follow that with a few chapters of a well chosen book maybe or a stress-free TV programme - anything that is to distract the mind away from it's fears.

Might not be an instant cure but one things for sure, once you enter the regime your mind will begin to respond to the less 'threatening' aspects of sleep.

Mystically yoursxxxx

Liverbird67
11-04-08, 14:06
Hiya
Sorry that you are scared to sleep, I think that this is one of the most worrying aspects of anxiety or depression nerves etc, this is a horrible symptom because it makes things 100x worse. Sleep deprivation will actually exacerbate the symptoms of your anxiety because you will be exhausted. There are no easy answers for this one, I think in the acute stages, a medication with a sedative effect may help, but sometimes the really strong willed (I am one of them) will fight this and could possibly end up feeling worse, sometimes the old remedies are the best, a warm bath, ensure that your bedroom is for sleeping only etc (you know what I am getting at if you are over 18) do not work in your bedroom, etc. make it a haven of peace, I find listening to radio more relaxing that TV it seems to require less concentration. (however give the radio ghost stories a miss!) try lavender sprays on your bedding or pillows if you can (I advised my son to do this he woke up with eyes streaming etc turned out he was alllergic) also try some of the herb teas trial and error with this as some people either love them or hate them, callomile with honey is a good one I find, I also find Horlicks drinks the low fat ones that you mix with water a good idea, the chocolate one knocks me out completely. Also try relaxation tapes, when you are hyper anxious these are quite hard to do and you may find it hard to relax, again an indication that the problems are anxiety but do keep at it they will work eventually.
Most of all believe me that this symptom will subside with time, I know its horrible and your bed of all places should be somewhere that you feel safe and secure. But I think that this symptom appears when your anxiety is at it's peek usually an indication that you need to address the problem further by having a word with your doctor or certainly confiding in someone you trust.

Love and best wishes.

Debbie
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Tom_M
11-04-08, 16:12
I think the best way to overcome this type of phobia is to look at the odds of dying in your sleep. If like me you suffer from sleep apnea, then the odds are pretty high. Saying that though, I do have a CPAP machine and I do attend the sleep clinic regularly. But apart from sleep apnea, there's not a lot of illnesses that can kill you in your sleep if you are fit and well. So I'd stop worrying.

Pauluk
14-04-08, 12:21
Try and really tire yourself out during the day that helped me no end.

Demzii
25-08-08, 20:21
I'm Scared to sleep but not because i think im goin to die because i going to be sick but i think i do understand with me having emetaphobia for 7-8 years.(i'm 12)

so jems like
26-08-08, 03:02
hello,
there are so many other people who are feeling the same way you are. you are not alone =) don't worry. i too feel like this. but this is all just in your head. don't think about it. just read a good book, think happy thoughts and go to sleep. because hun, you'll wake up in the morning & you can smile. it just takes time, it'll pass.
hang in there !! stay strong.
fight through it !! fight through your fear. =)

demi06
28-08-08, 16:12
I completely understand how you feel. I am suffering with a similar problem at the moment, although my friends say that it is completely irrational, it may not be on the same scale or topic of yours but i keep myself awake as i fear that someone will break into my house and kill me. I don't know why now it has started to phase me so much. I feel so stupid trying to explain to my boyfriend why i can't sleep :(

xxx

Lexi
28-08-08, 16:57
I have had this too :(
I used to try and sty awake untill pure exhaustion took over, it sucks! But you will always wake up

Mystical
28-08-08, 18:29
Hey,
You out there scared to sleep; just consider the need of the body for rest. In time and - with practice - what is scary now will hold no fears at all. It is in putting up a defence against allowing sleep to proceed as normal that you are creating a resistance to allowing the body to rest, sub-consciously of course, instead of relaxing down to a good nights sleep. As for focus... one spot on the ceiling should be enough to allow your mind to fix its attention on. Next thing you know will be waking from the the first of a much wanted night's sleep..... Mystically yours....

Granny Primark
28-08-08, 21:43
Ive got this fear.
My mum died age 60 in her sleep. We later discovered it was a heart attack that caused her death.
I suppose its a lovely way to die but its the ones that are left behind who are left with the horrible shock.

Mystical
29-08-08, 01:10
I quite understand Lynn,
Both my parents died in their early 60's and that's where I am now; quite an anxious few years ahead I'm guessing, but that's life (and death) it seems. Just get into the NOW moment and live it, seems to be the best resolution without giving the actual subject more thought than necessary. Sleep fears are high priority with a large number of ppl at NMP, so you are no way alone; I have sleep terrors and can't always be sure I'll wake up and not find myself with bruises from the night's activities? That sure worries me more than not waking. Mysticallly yours....

Natural Mystic
27-11-08, 19:53
scared to sleep! hell I just wish I could sleep

EdwardP
27-11-08, 23:32
When I get tired I have a panic attack because I think my body is shutting down and I am about to die so I freak out and try to keep myself awake. I know it's dramatic, but it's how I feel.

maxskiboy
06-12-08, 15:20
Hi, I have the same thing only instead of dying its of being sick, it is that a wake up in the middle of the night with a bug or somthing.

MAX

Scottishlass
25-01-09, 21:42
Hi there
I have a fear of dying which is ruining my life. Used to have fear of dying in my sleep but that doesn't bother me too much now. I get really bad panic attacks and have been getting cbt and taking sentraline which I think is helping a bit.
Can't believe there are others like me out there. Have had afear of dying most of my life.....its so horrible

Mystical
26-01-09, 01:59
Hiya Scottish lass,

Nay girl, you're not the first and won't be the last to think how you do at present; the most common cause of the 'scared of dying' is a sleep disorder called sleep apnea - go look it up on NHS direct teletext or www.webhealth.com (http://www.webhealth.com) Both are helpful when your fears are focused on dying in sleep; most often it is the birthing process or so my consultant told me and he's a top man in his field which is neurology and sleep disorders; he lectures in America so must have a reputation to match his postion over here as a top teaching professor at Nottingham University. :yesyes: Am sure you'll be fine once you know the reason for your fears; a good book

is "Panic Attacks" by Christine Ingham and it can be got quite cheaply thru' the NMP bookshop and the Amazon link you'll find there.

NMP Nic knows my fears match yours so she also knows I only want to ease them some for you.

Mystically yours.... Stu in Nottingham. :)

Mystical
26-01-09, 02:01
Lexi;378987 I have had this too :(
I used to try and stay awake untill pure exhaustion took over, it sucks! But you will always wake up.

Mystical
26-01-09, 02:04
Lexi,

Same goes for you that I said to Scottish Lass; read the post and let me know if it matches your sleep disturbance and inability to sleep because of fear?

Mystically yours

Stu in Nottingham :ohmy:

nikkipops
04-02-09, 18:15
I sometimes force myself to stay awake because I'm scared of having nightmares or waking up to a panic attack. I figure it would also stop me sleepwalking which I apparently do...