PDA

View Full Version : breathing

julia
09-12-09, 20:47
help i was just relaxing when all of a sudden i felt like i had stopped breathing this has bought on a horrible panicky feeling now i m worried i am going to stop breathing and cant think of anything else,had a busy day at work want to lay downn but as soon as i do im concious of breathing and panic:weep:

Veronica H
09-12-09, 20:55
Don't worry. This is just another side effect caused by anxiety.

I have posted this advice before from the great Dr Weekes......A good exercise to stop rapid shallow breathing: lie flat on the floor or bed, bend knees and bring legs close to your body, keeping feet flat on the ground. Then place arms across chest, right hand grasping left shoulder, left hand grasping right shoulder. This produces abdominal breathing'.

The feeling that you can't breathe is caused by chest muscles tightening due to anxiety...Dr Weekes also says 'do not let it frighten you. Breathe as shallowly as you feel you must, but donot be concerned with what will happen because you breathe this way. Your respiritory centre will see that you inspire enough air, despite your effort to hinder it'.

:bighug1:veronica

julia
09-12-09, 20:57
now i have got tingling in my face but dont feel like i am hyperventalating:ohmy:

gypsywomen
09-12-09, 20:58
now try to relax ,,you can breath ,,its panic that makes you think you cant,,try listening to music ,,take deep breaths right into your tummy then relax ,,this will help your breathing pattern return to normal,, remember nice and slow and deep hope this helps you will be fine ,,,i was a nurse dealt with this many times

julia
09-12-09, 21:04
thank you veronica i really appreciate your reply,im going to try this,imy daughter is trying to talk to me and i cant think about anything but breathing,my head is telling me to panic my reasoning knows i dont need to as soon as i relax the panic sets in aaargh frustrating:huh:

julia
09-12-09, 21:08
thank you gypsy woman trying now i just need to believe it:wacko:thank goodness i have found nmp i darent relax!

gypsywomen
09-12-09, 21:16
think this way if you had no breath you wouldn't be able to type mess as your brain would be starved too ,so you can breath ts your anxiety telling you you cant ,,try a nice warm cup of tea count in your head from 1000 backwards even if you don't want to concentrate on the numbers plus take those nice deep breaths you will be ok ,,