PDA

View Full Version : On Citalopram for two weeks - now nervous again?

darrenc
09-12-09, 20:58
Hi,

I've been on 10mg of Citalopram for two weeks now. I think I got some side effects from this in that I felt very tired and down, and lost my appetite for about 3 days.

My doctor said to go back around now so they could review the medicine. But when I rang the surgery they said my usual doctor was on holiday this week!

Ignoring the side effects, I had been feeling alot better. But these past two days I've been feeling very nervous again, so much so that earlier I started shaking when I got out of bed and I feel as if my heart is beating irregularly. (It doesn't help that I've had musculoskeletal chest pain for several months as well).

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be that the 10mg dose is not enough, and now I should try say 20mg a day?

chickpea
09-12-09, 21:22
I started on 10mg, after having a bad reaction to one tablet of 20mg.
It's considered sub-therapeutic...which basically means it's too low a dose to be effective.

I took 10mg for 5 weeks, before moving up to 15mg. In that time, I had some great days and some less good days, with the odd awful day thrown in for good measure!

Even on 15mg, things were a bit up and down.
I've been on 20mg for about 5 weeks now and feel great - no anxiety at all.:yesyes:

My guess is that you will need to up your dose to get the full effect. In the meantime, the 10mg dose will have got your body used to Citalopram, soyou shouldn't get any awful side effects when you do move up.

chickpea
09-12-09, 21:23
Should have said - don't up your dose without seeing your GP first.

darrenc
09-12-09, 21:32
Thanks chickpea!

I should have mentioned that after I've taken my daily pill I feel better.

It's only about ~8hr before my next dose is due that I get nervous.

Logan_Five
09-12-09, 23:03
I'mon 20mg and I'm into my 6th week now. One of the side effects of the first few weeks on it, is potential increased anxiety. Just see it though and stick with it. Definitely discuss it with your GP if you want to up your intake. It's something you shouldn't do yourself.

chickpea
10-12-09, 16:46
Thanks chickpea!

I should have mentioned that after I've taken my daily pill I feel better.

It's only about ~8hr before my next dose is due that I get nervous.

What time of day are you taking the tablets?

suzy-sue
10-12-09, 16:59
Darren your dose has not stabilised yet hun ,you are still experiencing side effects .Give it a couple more weeks and see how you feel .Then your Dr will assess your dose and put it up if you dont feel any better ,,Sue xx

darrenc
11-12-09, 14:50
What time of day are you taking the tablets?

I'm taking the tablets in the evening, because that's when I got them from the pharmacy.

I did wonder if I should take them in the morning, but because I get so tired ~3hrs after taking them, I'm worried of falling asleep at work! If anything did happen to me at work, it's a long drive home.