PDA

View Full Version : GAD

welshwizard79
09-12-09, 21:41
Hello everyone. Im a 30 year old man and got diagnosed with GAD 6 months ago after years of depression and anxiety. I have a young son and work 9-5 in a job that invloves travelling etc Im therefore very busy and get tired alot but Im having CBT and not on any meds currently, but I have taken some KALMS latley which seem to give a very mild sedative effect however im not convinced, and I could be just thinking that they work. I have put on about a stone in weight in the last year and feel a bit paranoid about that but Im not really that overweight and I do find comfort in eating chocolate and feel it gives me some anxiety relief. I drink and smoke socially but have cut down alot on going out since becoming a dad and it doesnt really bother me. I also love to watch comedy programmes and have been encouraged by articles on laughter therapy cos it really does help. Anyway thats enough from me, and any tips or information on GAD would be great.

Cheers

Mya
09-12-09, 21:51
It is so nice to meet you! I too suffer from GAD and you will find lots of support here. I am sorry you are feeling so down, but all of us on here are walking in the same shoes. I hope it helps you and congratulations on becoming a father!

Alicat
10-12-09, 19:58
Hi there :welcome:

messianictalmud
10-12-09, 22:31
Hello my fellow GAD man :welcome:

Ronny
11-12-09, 00:30
:)Hi Gad,like Mya, we all on this site are fighting with demons.I do know the grog is not healthy for you it brings on anxiety and panic,try to eat a good balanced diet,.drink plenty of water and get plenty of rest.Gee I must sound like your mother sorry about that.But being once a drinker, I still have a smoke I know what effects it has on you.You take care of yourself and Merry Christmas
Ronny:flowers:

Mya
11-12-09, 00:34
Dear Welshwizard,

I forgot to mention, as a fellow GAD sufferer, I too believe laughter is the best therapy there is. I hope you can bring some humor into our lives :)

I used to ( try to still) have the best sense of humor according to my friends, before this disorder hit me. I think you have touched on a very important point already because unfortunately, at least from what I have seen, not too many posts on here talk about laughter or the importance of it. One part in my accepting my anxiety is actually by laughing at it! I know what I am doing is utterly ridiculous and preposterous but I am having still a hard time of switching it off!

Anyways, sorry for the ramble, but I believe you have brought up one of the top solutions in helping us:) So don't be shy and send some good humor our way

Mya
11-12-09, 00:38
Well Ronny,

We are getting somewhere with this post! I think you should be the substance abuse counselor! No really, any tips you have would be great. I am not much of a drinker, but I love my smokes:weep: My doctor is going to help me stop but she says I am no way near that point yet with the problems upstairs:) When it gets to that time, I will be looking to you for support! Congratulations to you though for taking good control over your health!:)

welshwizard79
11-12-09, 12:53
Thanks to everyones messages they are much appreciated. Yeah your right about the booze, diet and fags etc but sometimes after a hard week its hard to resist a blowout. I used to drink and smoke heavily but know its more social and I can go out without it if needed. The laughter thing Ive always used and make a point of watching or reading something funny everday, it can give you a real lift and its free haha.

messianictalmud
11-12-09, 13:21
Hi welshwizard79, :welcome: to the GAD laughter therapy site :D no seriously though it's nice to have you on board, like Mya and others I too have GAD please feel free to look at my blog if you want to know more about GAD.
I too try my upmost hardest to find anything funny in life. I too like watching TV comedies like My Family, Only Fools & Horses etc

welshwizard79
11-12-09, 20:28
I'll go with Alan Partridge, The Office, The Day Today, Garth Marenghis Dark Place, A bit of Fry and Laurie and Blackadder. All brilliant British comedy classics :) And of course the Simpsons. Still cracks me up but the older stuff :yesyes: