PDA

View Full Version : How long do colds last???

Lissy43
10-12-09, 09:31
I am on my 9th day of a cold and I am still very snotty (clear) and I have a slight cough and blocked up ears. No fever though, GP other day when I saw her about being pregnant said that as long as I had no fever just not to worry.

I thought colds though lasted only aout 5 days.

I am in early pregnancy, very stressed at the break up of my marriage, so maybe all this is contributing to it.

Gazman
10-12-09, 12:06
stress/worry/anxiety certainly can prolong these types of things from my experience, and 5 days really isn't enough time in most cases, i've had colds that have lasted up to 2 to 3 weeks before, so just try to relax and not get too stressed, which is hard i know, but you are pregnant too so try to take it easy.

All the best - Gaz :D

Welsh.Baz
10-12-09, 13:28
Colds can last upto a month in some cases, it's all down to how your immune system is going, so being pregnant will mean it'll take a little longer to clear up. If it's getting bothersome just go talk to your pharmacist and take some over the counter things to help you out a little :)

Mander
10-12-09, 13:46
I just saw the Dr the other day about an ongoing snot-fest of a cold, and she said that whatever is going around right now usually takes 2-3 weeks to get over. Your immune system is a little depressed in pregnancy, too, so it might take a while.

Cell block H fan
10-12-09, 14:39
I am on my 9th day of a cold and I am still very snotty (clear) and I have a slight cough and blocked up ears. No fever though, GP other day when I saw her about being pregnant said that as long as I had no fever just not to worry.

I thought colds though lasted only aout 5 days.

I am in early pregnancy, very stressed at the break up of my marriage, so maybe all this is contributing to it.

Ive never had one only last 5 days hun. My daughters had one weeks now, my sons been off school this week, went back today, he came down with the cold with the headache & cough on sunday. I came down with it 2 days ago. His hasn't gone, but he has exams in january, & his school get a bit arsey if they have a lot of time off! So ive had to dose him up with meds & send him to school. I went to work today dosed up with Nurofen.
I think it can be about 2 weeks they last. The cough part tends to last even longer x

Lissy43
10-12-09, 23:01
Thank you all, reassuring to know xxx

nomorepanic
10-12-09, 23:17
There is an old saying

3 days coming 3 days on and 3 days going

But we are all different I guess

Typer
11-12-09, 14:23
I have a cold right now. I usually get at least one a year, but this one is the second. There is a nasty cold virus about and that was the one I had last time. It went on fro about weeks....same for the friend who gave me the darn thing. The cold itself went, but all that catharr went on and on. Now I have another nasty one. Spent yesterday laid out on my back. Little better today