PDA

View Full Version : Week 2 of Fluoxetine/Prozac

fallenidol1
10-12-09, 10:45
I've been suffering from panic attacks for years and I was on Seroxat which helped with the attacks but really changed my personality, I got off of Seroxat about a year and a half ago but recently the panic attacks have come back and so I felt the need to go on medication again, I am now in my second week of taking Fluoxetine at 20mg and I seem to be constanly anxious and almost agoraphobic which is something that has never troubled me before in my life.
I work an hour away from my home but I can hardly get into town at the moment and I'm worried this will develop into yet another cause of anxiety in my life.
I was wondering if this extreme increase in anxiety is normal at the start of taking Fluoxetine and if anyone had any tips or tricks to get over it? I have also been prescribed 5mg Diazepam but I'm reluctant to rely on them as they are both addictive and only mask the underlying problem.
I honestly am starting to question my sanity at the moment!
Dan.

gypsywomen
10-12-09, 10:53
it can take up to 6 weeks for them to get into your system but once they do ,you will feel like a new person when you start yes you can feel as you do ,,you should take diazepam they help with the anxiety feelings taking for a couple of weeks wont make you addicted but make you feel more relaxed ..

Tucker
10-12-09, 11:41
I'm the same as yourself, been back on Fluoxetine for past few weeks(now in 16th day), slowly feeling a wee bit better. The last 2 weeks have been horrible, feeling sick constantly and having palpitations . But last few days have been a bit better. I've been on them twice before over the past couple of years so i know they really do work. but my problem is once i feel better i think i can do without them.....big mistake..........i'll be trying to stick on them for a while now as it's just not worth getting back into this state.

i would give them another few weeks and you should feel them working.

Tucker.

fallenidol1
11-12-09, 12:18
Had a better day yesterday but woke up this morning with a thumping headache and feel really shaky, I was at the end of my tether when I went to ask the doc to put me on meds but now I just feel as though I'm about to go over the edge completely!! :weep:
Dan.

JaneC
11-12-09, 12:26
Hi Dan,

Sorry you're not feeling good. I think I'm about 6 weeks in on Prozac and I'm beginning to feel they're really helping.

The first couple of weeks were pretty horrible, to the point where I nearly gave up - but I'm glad now I didn't :hugs:

fallenidol1
11-12-09, 12:39
Thanks Jane, it's nice to know that they do work, I just hope it's sooner rather than later as I've never ever felt as bad as I do at the moment!
Whilst my family understand why I'm feeling the way I do, they seem to be getting frustrated and fed up of me so I tend to just try to stay out of everyone's way. The sooner I can get myself out of the house again, the better for everyone I think!
Dan.

JaneC
11-12-09, 12:54
I know exactly how you feel, Dan, I had a couple of weeks where I struggled to leave the house on my own and certainly didn't feel I could drive so my husband had to do all the running about (which, with three kids, is a lot!).

But it definitely seems to have been worth it in my case and I hope it's the same for you.

Things are probably difficult for the families of a lot of us on here at times but in the end I'm sure they just want to see us well.

Gillian
11-12-09, 13:02
Hi Dan, my daughter is on prozac and yes she had trembling feelings, sweating etc in the first 2 weeks of taking them and then she was fine, hope you are well soon
love and light
Gill x