PDA

View Full Version : alcohol and anxiety

syd74
10-12-09, 16:23
I have been feeling really anxious lately , massive feelings of guilt and panic attacks . I am worring about xmas as obviously drinking will be envolved , I am finding that when I drink the next day I feel really panicky , and I feel quite depressed at the prospect of perhaps never drinking again

gypsywomen
10-12-09, 16:49
there is nothing wrong with a couple of drinks are you taking meds if so some dont agree with alcohol,i dont drink so dontknow why you feel panic ,sure you wll be fine

suzy-sue
10-12-09, 16:52
Its a hard choice when you have always enjoyed a social drink occassionally .But if you are feeling really anxious and have feelings of panic and depression ,the last thing you need is alcohol ..I never had a drink for 8 months and that included last christmas ,but I still had a good time. I made the choice not to have one as I wanted to get better first ..This summer I had my first drink!:yesyes: and I occassionally have a few and am not too bad afterwards ,If I exceed my limit I feel full of anxiety the next day ,it takes a few days to go away ..Its really not worth it .Once you feel better ,you will be able to drink moderately ,but surely you dont need alcohol to have a good time ..? Life is about choices and we have to live with the concequences ,its not worth ruining your xmas and new year for the sake of a few drinks ,believe me .. Have a good one anyway Luv Sue xx

ash1807
10-12-09, 17:44
Totally with Sue on this one. Is really is not worth worrying about whether you can have drink or two over Christmas or not.

You are much better off trying to get well first. I stopped drinking ( and I did like a pint or ten!) and found that my anxiety levels did not go on a roller coaster ride.

I have toally abstained from alcohol, which in the long run has not made an iota of difference to my enjoyment of life. Far from advocating total absitence, I think you are better off resolving your anxiety issues first and then go party !

syd74
10-12-09, 17:59
Thanks for the responses , its just really frustrating that I can,t be like normal people and go out and drink without feeling horrible afterwards , for the record I am on cipralex 10mg a day, although at the moment they dont seem to be helping much

PoppyC
10-12-09, 18:44
Hi Syd
I take citalopram and I never used to drink alcohol. but now I limit myself to 2 glasses of red wine or a couple of Baileys.
I went to a ball last weekend, felt a bit panicky around all the people there, and stupidly ended up having 5 glasses of wine....or maybe it was 6...not sure :noangel: The wine was flowing and before I knew it, I had too much. I felt really tired, could not keep my eyes open and had to leave early to go to bed!!! before 11.30pm!!! :lac: and for the next 24 hours felt terrible - like a really bad hangover with extreme tiredness and I was really 'edgy' - much more extreme than a usual hangover.:weep:
I am never drinking beyond 2 drinks again - not whilst taking medication anyway. Its not worth feeling really unwell for. I will just go back to drinking soft drinks and alcohol free drinks :weep: but at least I will feel well :yesyes:
I read somewhere that alcohol affects the way medication works - basically it stops the medication from working properly on the brain, and therefore it can increase anxiety and depression, and plus not only that anyway, it is dangerous to mix medication with alcohol.

Typer
11-12-09, 14:37
Alcohol is a depressant and does knock out serotonin.

A few glasses of red wine or something should be fine at Christmas. But I would recommend that anyone on SSRI's limits alcohol intake

Davey Boy
11-12-09, 15:15
Hangover + GAD = Day (sometimes creeps even into a second day!) of hell.

Tucker
11-12-09, 16:28
I've always been fine drinking alcohol when on Fluoxetine. Not sure if that would be the same for all anti-depressants. Wouldn't drink if my anxiety levels were really high though.

messianictalmud
11-12-09, 18:05
Thanks for the responses , its just really frustrating that I can,t be like normal people and go out and drink without feeling horrible afterwards , for the record I am on cipralex 10mg a day, although at the moment they dont seem to be helping much

Hi I can see what you mean about wanting to do the normal stuff, however some might say that lots of people who do drink don't then act normal !

Never mind about christmas traditions etcor what others might think etc you just put your own health first.