PDA

View Full Version : Challenge your Panic!!!

barrywin
11-12-09, 05:36
Most of us on here have suffered Panic Attacks. I would like to reassure everyone that however frightening they are/appear/feel/seem/ no one has ever died from a Panic Attack.

Recently I tried a new approach -- when I felt the onset of a Panic Attack I didn't just run and hide from it, I welcomed it wholeheartedly and embraced it with PASSION and then I ATTACKED IT WITH A VENGEANCE!!!

HOW DARE YOU I shouted at it!!
IS THAT THE BEST YOU CAN DO!!!??? I screamed internally at it as my heart was racing at what felt like 200mph -- I've had my heart beating faster than this in one of my exercise workouts!!!

GIVE ME MORE -- DO YOUR ABSOLUTE WORST ---I CHALLENGE YOU!!!! I dared the feelings and to be perfectly honest the attack was one of the mildest ones I've ever had and soon dissipated as it realised I wasn't scared of the adrenalin rush and was prepared to face it full on and actually dared it for MORE!!!

All of us on this website are SO BRAVE, much braver than other people who never have to experience what we go through. Try my new method and see if it works for you.
View the sweating and beating heart as nothing more than a physical workout!!

Let's not be afraid and turn this Panic problem on it's head and run into it welcoming it instead of running away from it.

I hope it helps,
Very best wishes,
Barry

den68
11-12-09, 08:12
i totally agree i used to say in my head bring it on you beep and it didnt seem to be able to throw much at me. The secret was i wasnt afraid of it any more so it lost its power

gypsywomen
11-12-09, 08:25
very true words for all

Veronica H
11-12-09, 09:01
:bighug1:Thanks Barry. I let the rapid heart beats get to me recently and nearly started taking Betablockers again, so this post is very relevant to me just now.

Veronicax

Typer
11-12-09, 14:46
True Barry. I always say bravery is not doing things, its doing them even when you are scared.

I have tried shouting at the palps actually...I think you may be on to something, esp if it is heart felt

bellalew
12-12-09, 11:39
i feel dreadfull,panic attack started 15mins ago,racing heart beats,and just came on the site for some reasurance,and the first thing i saw was your post barry,how uncanny,im doing heavy breathing which dose help and im saying to myself, COME ON THEN, LETS GET THIS THING OUT THE WAY,and it is truly helping to calm me down,i can smile again now and wipe the fear from my face,how brave am i?:D and yes we all are the bravest of pepole on here and so deserve a big pat on the back.thanks again barry your words are an insperation.

Ruby13
12-12-09, 15:08
Thanks Barry, I will try that.

What I cannot get rid of though, are the thoughts of worry in my head, but will try that method too.

fazman3000
13-12-09, 00:12
Great post Barry..

I think I'm finally getting over mine (again).

I've been using the complete opposite approach (well, kind of) by just thinking... 'You know what, I really cant be bothered to deal with a panic attack right now. It won't help me do whatever task I'm trying to achieve and it's a complete waste of energy'.

I still feel really run down, anxious and depressed in the evenings but I just accept it for what it is and know that if I panic all I'm going to do is make my feelings worse. Easier said than done though I guess.

x

hypnogood
13-12-09, 00:21
Great Barrywin...

What i think when we experience a panic attack for the first time, the experience can be so impacting that it leaves a strong imprint on the persons psyche. This mental imprint generates a cycle or loop of anxiety whereby the person develops an unhealthy fear of having another panic attack. People can spend anywhere from months to years caught in this repetitive cycle of anxiety.

so maybe the key to stopping having these attacks is to stop fearing them and living in constant expectation of another outburst. This all seems very simple and straightforward, but it’s easier said than done.

Clayton the Panicked
13-12-09, 01:34
I am going to try this. Cause these monsters are tough! Very tough and one seems to spawn another one with me. So it is crucial that I avoid allowing them to snowball into a Big One.

barrywin
13-12-09, 04:53
Speaking from personal experience, the first and second Panic Attacks were the most TERRIFYING experiences I have ever had the what I now view as PLEASURE to experience.
They left such frightening imprints on my mind that I HAD to find out as much as I could about them.

THE FIRST 2 PANIC ATTACKS WERE ONLY SO TERRIFYING BECAUSE I WAS TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL DUE TO THE ADRENALIN,RACING HEART AND DID NOT KNOW WHAT WAS HAPPENING TO ME. I FEARED FOR MY SANITY AND LIVED IN FEAR THAT THEY WOULD COME BACK AGAIN WHICH THEY INEVITABLY DID!

I say Pleasure now because I have come to understand them and am now not frightened of them and give them about as much interest as a stubbed toe or a burnt finger etc....

They do pass and they can NOT hurt you!!!

On the rare occasions now when I feel a panic attack attack coming on I view it as a matter of jumping off of a kerb, a mere 1--2 foot drop compared to the fear of falling off a cliff top as in the past.

I just become aware of the sensations, realise that it is only the adrenalin rush causing these sensations and carry on with what I'm doing and the Panic then never manages to get a grip because I'm not afraid.

It's the same with anxiety and the churning stomach. be aware of it but just carry on doing what you were doing normally as though the churning stomach sensations were nothing more than mild toothache or headache etc....
Best wishes to all and hope this helps.

JohnBliss
13-12-09, 18:25
Great advice and I would endorse the technique -it works for me too and is equally effective against intrusive thoughts. I would say though that it does take practice and perseverance but for me" attack" is much more effective than "acceptance" and any kind of analysis is the least effective approach of all but " each to his own " -It's what works for the individual and may well depend on their personality
Regards
John

ronski
13-12-09, 19:23
Not a truer word said, do as barrywin suggests and you will be panic free, not anxiety free there is a difference. But with the panic attacks under control then your journey to be anxiety free will be a lot easier. Still a long journey, but with small steps and time, and not giving yourself a hard time when you get the occaisional setbacks perfectly possible.

Budgie
13-12-09, 22:36
I am challenging my panic, tomorrow... I've got my driving test! :scared15:

Come on! I CAN DO THIS!!! Arrr! :yesyes:

JohnBliss
14-12-09, 00:19
Budgie
Hope it does the trick and you sail through your Driving Test
Best of Luck
John

Pinkangels
05-01-10, 14:53
Hi everyone, ive just joined, and have been reading through loads of post lol!

Barry, funnily enough I tried the "challenge the panic" this morning whilst driving on the school run, which I hate!

U know what I think it might of actually helped!!
I was babbling on, saying things like, well come on then, do your best, you have no power over me!, make my head spin, take my breath etc, really going for it, trying to bring it on. and nothing. It felt great!

usually of course, i try not to think about it, yet its SO there in my head before im even in the car. I put my cold blower on to help my head not feel lightheaded...all the stuff I automatically do now, to try and prevent it.

Try not to think of it, and it gets bigger and bigger. Challenge it and it wont be so big and strong

Good luck, its worth a try.

JohnBliss
05-01-10, 17:39
Hi Pinkangels
Glad the technique helped you. I'm convinced it's the best approach
Regards
John

rhea
06-01-10, 16:09
heyy thanks for this post and i most definitely going to try this the next tym i have one, as i will admitt i am scared of my panic attacks and i try and stop them but it never wrks!! so i will try this approuch next tym! xxx

Budgie
10-01-10, 18:51
I did my driving test, and passed! :yahoo: Since then I've been challenging my panic some more as I have bought a car, and have been getting out on the roads! (Although, for safety, I haven't been out on the recent snow, but I will be when its a bit less icy!)

I love challenging my panic! :shades: I'm going to go on a date... now thats a new challenge for me! :winks: