PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of Prozac - any advice

confused75
11-12-09, 21:20
I have been on Escitalopram 20mg for about 2 months and have changed psychiatrists (gone from private due to running out of funding to NHS). My new 'psychiatric team' want to change my meds from the escitalopram to fluoxetine 20mg. Has anyone experienced both of these tablets and what is your opinion?

K

maxine
11-12-09, 21:46
Hello,

i haven't experienced the one you are currently on but I did try Prozac for a bit, If I'm completely honest the side effects were hellish for me so I gave up after 8 days but a friend of mine had no side effects whatsoever and has felt a huge improvement in her anxiety.

I'd say give them a shot, if you feel like crap after a week change meds.

Oh and don't google then read all the random comments as they are the same with any drug the horror stories are always worse than the real thing.

I'm on day 17 of Seroxat now and i ade the mistake of reading all the horror stories which made me very anxious in taking them... I took them anyway and actually feel a whole lot better.

Good luck :hugs:

Maxine

confused75
11-12-09, 22:01
Thanks for your reply Maxine, I really appreciate it. I had Bulimia when I was a teen and they put me on a form of prozac then and I barely slept for the first three days so stopped taking them which has scared me to try again but the nurse said as I'm signed off work I should just 'give them a go' but I really am very nervous. Good to hear your friend didn't have any side effects though. Thanks you :)

maxine
11-12-09, 22:13
Hey K,

I think my side effects came from reading all the crap about side effects on the net to be entirely honest!!

It is scary trying new medication, it always will be, but you have to remember that at some point during the fun filled will i won't i phase that one of these meds will be the one that really, really helps you.

If you have got the time off work give the a shot, as I said i'm now on the "really scary one" Seroxat.. the suicide one lol and I've been fine and they really have chilled out my anxieties alot.

You have nothing to lose but everything to gain, the first few days on any new meds will always be erm interesting but you will know after a week or so if they do or don't suit you.

Maxine