PDA

View Full Version : Lorazepam - advice pls

tiffanysdesigns
11-12-09, 21:15
i take 40mgs of fluoxetine and 30mgs of propranalol each day for depression and anxiety but I am really really struggling with my sleep - I just cant stay asleep. I have also have been prescribed 2mgs of lorzaepam 3 times a day if needed and also have 5mgs of dizaepam which i can take 3 times a day if needed - i havent been taking the tranquilisers but wondering if they may help me sleep if i took em at nite

which one would u suggest to take, if any

thank u

Alisonj
12-12-09, 06:37
I take Paxil and Propanolol and had Lorazapam added after having major anxiety after the birth of my son. I have been on it for three years now. I took it only at bedtime and it helped me sleep. I was also given Klonopin for daily use as my anxiety was horrible. I started taking them at night with all the rest and I would be almost "high" and go to sleep without a problem. However, after a few months I would have to up the dosage and it would stop helping me sleep. The continued until I was taking a high dose of both Klonopin and Lorazapam and I was not sleeping anymore. I would spend all night tossing and turning. So after months of horrible sleep I saw my doc and he told me to stop the ativan and gave me trazodone. Well the trazodone works wonders!!!!! But I lowered the ativan too quickly and suffered withdrawals so I have to do it slowly. So my opinion is avoid the use of the benzos unless in a very anxious state and ask for trazodone for sleep. As you do not have to keep up'ing the dose for them to work and they are much less addicting. I regret taking benzos for so long as I am fully addicted to them now and was 110% dependent on them to sleep

decca
13-12-09, 12:52
I think you ought to see your Doc. as sleep problems such as getting to sleep or staying asleep are side effects of most Beta blockers,he might want to change you to one of the newer generation Beta blockers such as Nebivolol.
While you're there you could also ask him about the use of Benzo's , I'm sure he'll say that the risk of addiction and tolerance is unlikely at low doses as I've been told this many times by diferent Doctors.

Hope you feel better soon.

Decca.

KK77
13-12-09, 19:18
That's a lot of medication to take. Both the fluoxetine and propranolol can interfere with sleep and I would agree with Alisonj about asking for trazodone, as that isn't classed as addictive.

Taking 2 benzos is a bad idea and I'm surprised your doctor would prescribe them both. I would certainly go back to your doctor and discuss your problems.