PDA

View Full Version : Hi - Nice to know there're others out there

deon
11-12-09, 23:00
Hi
my name's Deon, Ive been suffering from panic attacks and high anxiety for a couple of years. My panic attacks are related to fear of heart attack .

I began to suffer from acid reflux after a bout of work related stress, the first experience of this was terrifying, I couldn't breathe or speak and thought I was having an heart attack.

even though the hospital showed everything was fine it must have made an impact as a few months later I had a stress related migrain ( my one and only), where my speech failed along with other symptoms which suggested a TIA or stroke, after that the panic attacks started. The hospital has confirmed that there is nothing physically wrong with me, apart from a lack of exercise and being overweight.

Ive had CBT which seems to patch up some of the holes, to enable me to understand what is happening, Ive tried sedatives, which are okay but not not long term solutions, Im trying Buddhist Meditation which is a long term project, but I suspect that my panic attacks may be better resolved if I think of them as a PTS response.

Today I was made bankrupt and was pleased to be able to keep the panic at bay by concentrated breathing, but last Wednesday night I had a 4 hour panic attack, which left me ragged at work and feeling a bit disappointed. It seems that when there is any slightly stressful situation, too much noise, too many jobs to do etc etc I get chest pains and then the panic builds.

Ive had a read through some of your stories and I no longer feel like an idiot with a mental problem, in fact im rather admiring of how those stories show that people can cope and live with panic disorder. I look forward to learning and sharing.... There , now you know more about me than my family do :)

diane07
11-12-09, 23:04
Hi deon

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Jellie
12-12-09, 09:24
Welcome to the forum :-) Panics are no good for sure :(
Well done for trying meditation, i am trying it myself too (though am very undiscaplined hehe!) :) Let us know how you get on with it. :hugs:

xx

jacqui03
12-12-09, 09:30
Hi Deon

Welcome to NMP...its a great comfort to discover your not alone and not the one idiot on the planet hehe. I hope as you continue to read the articles on here it helps to calm some of your fears as it has mine.

:welcome: