PDA

View Full Version : support and advice needed.

wobily_lin
19-11-05, 20:00
hi everyone,

i suffer with ptsd for 2 yrs. i have my first appointment with my psycologist on friday and i am terrified. i have read the posts on CBT. And although they have all been positive it doesnt take away the anxiety or the thouthts i have just thinking about going.

A few words of encouragement and advice would be very much appreciated at this time.

thanks all.x

lin x

trac67
19-11-05, 20:22
Hi Lin,

Just remember, a psycologist is trained in this, and will put you at ease, it is just talking, and you can say as much or a little as you feel comfortable with.

I was so nervous when I had my one to one appointment, but was made to feel so at ease I was soon chatting away as if they were an old friend.

You will be fine mate.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Meg
19-11-05, 20:25
What particularly are you terrified of ?

The dragging up and revisiting the old traumatic stuff

Her not being understanding , therapy not working etc ??

Or something completely different ?

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

clickaway
19-11-05, 21:22
I see a therapist every week, and like you, I had to go to my first appointment.

Its very important that you go at your own speed if you are worried about opening up. As Trac says, they are highly trained and you should see them as your friend. What you you tell them remains in those four walls, but will help you overcome your difficulties in the end.

As Meg says, what are your specific worries?

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

nomorepanic
19-11-05, 21:26
Lin

Go for it - it really helps to open up and talk about it and they are completely impartial and won't judge you.

It could be the best thing you do so don't give up hope ok.

Nicola

wobily_lin
19-11-05, 22:26
ITS ME,

thank you all so much. it helps to hear all ur advise. i think its going threw the trauma and having to face it again cos even when i talk about my experience i only say what i wanna say and avoid alot of bits cos it brings it all back so much... thats the scary thing, facing it again. although i do know that i need to do that to move forward. my experience in hosp was so traumatic for me and i hav never really spoke about it since it happened 2yrs ago cos i hate the panic attacks and the effect it had on me. i dont want to end up not being able to leave my house again. i can just about functioning now and i dont want to go back to being in that state again. and being so much of a burden on my partener and children again.

i do want this tho happen. it has took me this long to get this support. but its just scary. thats all. i am thinking positively but i am coming off my meds now too. im just fed up with the meds. side effects so its only been a few days since stopping. and my anxiety is really high anyway. i will discuss with psycologist all my concerns. my whole body is shaking so i need to know if that really me r if it my meds. so i will see.

thank you so much for ur posts. it does help believe me. maybe im being silly but i just cant help how im reacting at the moment. i dont no.

thanks again. il keep you informed.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx

lin x

jamesgeorge
19-11-05, 22:37
I too suffered PTSD from a very serious car crash. I tried talking therapy such as counselling. Never felt much better. Tried CBT didn't work for me, just asked to many questions. Hypnosis, ok but just taught me to relax and don't feel so stressed.

I've had my PTSD for almost 5 years, playing the thoughts over and over again. I'm sure you can relate to that.

However I have tried something really strange over the telephone called EFT. The strange part about it the therapist didn't even want to knoe what the problem was. He just got me to say certain words and tap my face and chest and fingers.

Guess what! I don't have any emotionall conection now. Mmemory still there but no emotion. It took me 10 mintues to clear 5 year PTSD

wobily_lin
19-11-05, 23:17
hi james

glad to meet another ptsd sufferer. i do replay things in my mind all the time. thats amazing wot u said about eft, is it. in ten minutes it helped that much. i hav heard something about touching ur face etc. wow.

thank you for your advice. sorry cbt didnt work for you. i do hope i have a better result. i would like to know more about that ten minute therapy u had though.

lin x