PDA

View Full Version : Wow can't believe i found this website

robbie1971
12-12-09, 13:44
Hello everyone i'm Rob and i have just stumbled accross this website by accident and am so glad that i have:):):).
My panic attacks started 20 years ago when I was on holiday in Ibiza for no reason at all and ever since i have never been able to get rid of them. I feel sometimes that they are driving me insane and sometimes feel i would be better off dead than have to deal with these bloody attacks all the time. I don't mean to sound selfish but i'm glad that there are other people out there that are like me who understand because my partner and my family think that i have severe mental health issues and should be sectioned but i realise that they just dont understand how i feel. Over the past 20 years i have tried so many different things to get rid of them without may i add any success. I became an alcoholic because that give me temporary relief from them but eventually that made them worse so i spent 5 years in and out of rehab trying to knock the booze on the head and eventully packed it in and i have now been sober for nearly 6 years. After the alcohol i tried cannabis and you would think i woud have learned my lesson and again they gave me temporary relief from my attacks but eventually that made them worse. I gave up the cannabis quite easily thank god but now i am at the stage where i think that i am beyond help. All this is really spoiling my quality of life god knows how i am managing to hold down a full time job and relationship. I manage to go away on holiday a few times a year but i have to be completely sedated with diazapam otherwise i would not get on the plane just being afraid of having a panic attack on board and making a complete idiot of myself. I once had a violent panic attack on a train in between manchester and cardiff and the train had to stop in the middle of nowhere so an ambulance could cart me off to hospital. I just want them to go away but i'm slowly realising that instead of fighting them my best option would be is to try and learn to live with them but belive me its not easy at all. My last panic attack was 3 days ago when i was out shopping and i just had to run and i run as fast as i could until i felt safe. I have recently changed my GP and he seems very sympathetic and he has suggested that i try cbt and as a short term fix he has put me on something called propanalol a beta blocker does anyone know if these really work and whether or not they are safe????? Anyway i have rambled on enough for now but would appreciate some people getting back to me as i feel so alone at the moment
Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this
Warm Regards

Rob :scared15::scared15::scared15:

nomorepanic
12-12-09, 13:50
Hi robbie1971

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Mya
12-12-09, 14:06
Hi Rob,

I am so sorry to hear how bad you are feeling. I can relate to so much you say. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and have had Panic Attacks for 2 years. I just recently sought out help and it was hard to make that first step. My panic attacks are so bad that I feel I need to run away, I have many many claustrophobia issues now and do not think I could even get on a plane (even being sedated) so you are much stronger than me!

The best blockers are safe and they will help to lower your heart rate and blood pressure when you are feeling very anxious. Many performers take them right before they get on stage. I would ask your doctor many questions before you take them in case they cause some symptoms that could fuel your anxiety more.

You are not insane, sweetie, and so many people are walking in the same shoes. You are have dealt with these for 20 years and I only 2 but it has been the worst 2 years of my life. I would not wish these on my worst enemy and you must realize how strong you really are for enduring all that you have.

I wish you the best of luck and you will not feel alone here. We all experienced various different events, but somehow we all ended up in the same place and can relate so much to one another.

robbie1971
12-12-09, 16:08
Hi Mya
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me it is much appreciated and your information is very useful. I hope that i can talk to lots of people regarding this and hopefully make some new freinds with people in the same situation as me. Its not nice what we have to go though and trying to explain to people who don't have panic attacks is sometimes and impossible task. I wish you the best in sorting your attacks out and i'm sure you will find a way someday.
Once again thank you very much for your reply
take care
Rob

Mya
12-12-09, 16:33
You are very welcome Rob. I too wish you the best in sorting out yor attacks and I know you will learn to better cope and enjoy life. Feel free to PM me anytime you feel alone because I can surely relate to how you are feeling. All the best.

jacqui03
13-12-09, 21:41
Hi Rob

Welcome abroad :)

Sorry to hear of your suffering for so long and I know how it feels when your family thinks you have completely lost it. Believe me you are not crazy and dont let them grind you down, its just ignorance on thier part. I hope you find some relief in the information on this site and the wonderful support you will find here.

:welcome:

eternally optimistic
13-12-09, 23:04
Hi yah Rob,

Glad you found this "place", it's superb. It will soon make you feel "normal" LOL.

Hope you get loads of advice and reassurance.

All the best.

ronski
14-12-09, 18:21
Hi Rob

You have really suffered with those panic attacks havent you. I wish I could give you some magical advice that would sort things out for you, but unfortunately if I am honest it is your reaction to that first fear that is driving those attacks. You are frightened of being frightened and I must admit I was the same when I first started with them. Whatever is driving the anxiety, it may be a fleeting thought that you just do not instantly recognise that starts off that first fear. Now there is nothing you can do about that basically because your subconcious mind is involved. But it is your reaction to that first fear that is so important, that is what decides how much adrenaline is released by your body and for how long. You have to learn how to recognise that first fear and then learn how your body reacts to that. This is done by telling it to do more and more and see if you can escilate that attack. This will prove that it is your thought process that is driving it. Once you see that for what it is you will lose your fear of them and they will get less and less and hopefully disapear.

Medicines can help such as the betablockers but at the end of the day only you can quell that anxiety and CBT is a useful tool to enable you to do that. I did CBT and I am panic attack free, I still get that first fear but no disabiling panic attacks that I used to get. Anxiety is not pleasent but that is how our bodies are designed. Never fight anxiety as that just adds muscle tension which makes things worse. Face, accept, float and let time pass, those immortal words and advice from Dr Claire Weeks and they are so true.

Veronica H
14-12-09, 18:30
:welcome:to NMP Rob.Glad that you have both found us.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough. This will get better.

Here is a link to her site;

http://www.drclaireweekes.co.uk/

Veronica